Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default TrailRider Race report / Uncut

The May 2007 Trail Rider Magazine issue has a article I wrote about a local race here in Washington, but there wasn't enough room for my entire long drawn out story. So here is the long version for those that don't get TrailRider and those that want to read the original. Enjoy!

FROST BITE GRAND PRIX 2007

A cool showery day would greet the 200 plus contestants on this race day morning. Everyone anticipating another memorable year of racing with the first race of the NMA Off-Road series: the Frost Bite Grand Prix. Tucked back in the beautiful Cascade Mountains, off of Highway 2, where maybe the most technical riding in Washington State lies is Reiter Trails, just east of Gold Bar Washington,. This the Stumpjumper M/C’s 3RD Annual FROST BITE GP and its first year held at Reiter Trails. The past 2 seasons it was held at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington. Due to Pacific Raceways expanding their raceways facilities, another great Off-Road venue died from lack of ground for a course.
The Stumpjumpers are no strangers to Reiter, hosting countless quality events there over the years. With their extensive knowledge from past events experience they were able to put together a masterpiece of a course. A very physically and mentally demanding 12+ mile loop. A true old school style course. Factor in the weather leading up to the race and the loop turned into a race for survival for some, where just finishing was a huge accomplishment and something to be proud of! The snow levels had been super low and a rising snow level would make for some very wet and icy spots of terrain. NMA rules state that studded tires are not allowed in order to preserve our trails as some races are held on Washington public land. So no one would be able to run traction aids for this race.

For those that aren’t familiar with this area, and the terrain associated with Reiter, most would describe it as continuous single track trails of roots and rocks, with more roots and rocks thrown in to make sure you don’t miss any. Also ruts of mud, a few sandy sections, steep hills, an occasional downed tree or boulder pile to negotiate, creek crossings, gas tank deep mud puddles, some whoop sections, Jeep trails, logging roads, and power line roads all in dense evergreen forest or stump filled clear cuts. Oh and don’t forget the Ice, this year the Frost Bite would stay true to its cold race name title.

A smooth flowing entry fee and sign up line showed the experience this club has at putting on events. From colossal turn out sized races like the Desert 100, to regular turn out numbers like their Golden Spike Hare Scrambles produces, the Stumpjumpers have learned how to handle a crowd.
The NMA also had its volunteers on site, Membership coordinator Jarna Rainey and the competition point’s keeper Tory Briggs, who were singing up the masses for 2007 NMA memberships and competition licenses. They also managed to keep sign up as painless as possible.

After a short informative riders meeting by Jerry Allen, long time Stumpjumpers member, it was time to get the NMA Off-Road racing season underway! Scheduled for 9:30AM the long and short courses would line up in class waves from AA on down to the beginner classes. NMA rules state the short course will run for an hour and a half and the long course for two and a half hours, after that time riders are cut off from making another loop. The start line is under the power lines on a plateau at the base of several jeep trails that are carved into a hillside heading up and towards the woods. Once on top of the hill everyone filters into the forests single track trails which in places also feature multiple lines for passing.

Here are a few points from my race experience as seen through my eyes as I made my way around this tough course. After a good start, I was one of the first few guys into the woods of the second wave. Well, that was the high point of my race after that it went south in a hurry. I found a patch of ice in a fast open clear cut trail and went down hard. Yep, the icy spots were truly gonna make this course a real challenge. After gathering my self and bike, I trudged on; slick rocks and roots constantly trying to take me down. A few miles later a hill that was like half frozen clay, bikes and racers littered its slope trying to ascend the top to continue on. I made it by cleanly, and blasted down a fast fire road to a road crossing where course workers were motioning for everyone to slow down. This road was a sheet of ice! Sure enough, there were a bunch of onlookers standing around waiting for carnage. Well I gave em a show! A little too much rear brake and before you know it I pulled a Scooby Doo 180 and landed flat on my back in front of the audience. Shocked and embarrassed, I continued on. Later on I heard that I wasn’t the only racer who went down on that icy road crossing, many did. At one point of the course I crashed and was stuck under my Gas Gas. Not from ice, I just hit a root then a rut and went out of control and somehow managed to fall off my bike on my back with my bike across my chest one arm pinned down. Helpless I watched as competitors rode by, probably snickering and I’m sure thinking that that was the easiest pass the ever made. Tired and weak I struggled and finally kicked and squirmed from underneath my bike just as a friend Scott Neff pulled up to give me a hand. I continued on, crashing my way around the slimy course, I just could not seem to keep the rubber down. It was truly hard to get into a flow or rhythm.
The course featured a very cool arm burning, and very steep down hill. It took you down the side of the mountain in a hurry. No ice here but it didn’t mater, gravity and mud wouldn’t let you stop! You just kind of skied all the way down and squeezed between these 2 mammoth boulders on your way down to a check point ahead. At the check point, the check crew gave you kudos then punched your nagahide strip that is zip tied to your handle bar and sent you on to finish the lap. You press on with a new strength and confidence. After all the encouragement, it seems to give you that second wind and it doesn’t feel so tough for a while. After a mile or two, with a gully crossing through a rocky creek and a few boulder strune up hills and back to the power lines you have completed a lap.
After 2 laps of racing and a pit stop for fuel and a little rest, I continued on, telling my friend Jeff Emery I wasn't giving up. He told me the long course cut off was in around 5 minutes and a bunch of racers gave up or broke down. I made it through the check point before the cut off for the 2 1/2 hour long course but really wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, I would soon find out. I trudged on, course looking like rut hell it had deteriorated substantially since my first two laps. Well within a mile of heading out on that final lap I got stuck. You see I got tired and did as the lemmings do. You know they follow the leader right into the bottomless mud hole and kick and squirm and tug and pull and cuss and push and cuss some more. To make matters worse I look to my right and see a nice new single track around the bottomless pit through the brush, BUT NOOOO!! I took the messed up way! Well after struggling for countless minutes extracting my machine out of the hole so I can continue the abuse, exhausted, I continue on.
A few more miles into my lap I hear a 450 4 stoke haulin A behind me, hammer down. It was a nice sandy fast section of single track, but the sound was closing so I pulled over. Sure enough, Paul "World Trophy Team" Neff on his 4TH lap looking as fresh as if it was his 1st! He would be the only racer with 4 laps and overall winner.
Later on I came upon a guy who was in one of the sandy 2 foot+ ruts, bike and body steaming, helmet off. He didn’t appear to be stuck, just spent. He says to me "is this your first lap?" I proudly respond with "it’s my 3rd." He looks back at me shocked and says “how much further?" I say "you’re about half way, and it doesn't get much easier!" He starts pounding on his bike seat repeatedly, you could just see the frustration! So off I went feeling a bit better now than before I met him, thinking to my self, man I can remember a time when I’ve felt like that. I pushed on, tired and sore accomplishing what I had set out to do. Finish and survive this tough race and get some points! In case you’re wondering how I fared in the standings after all the crashing and getting stuck. I was 38th out of 215 racers and 11th out of 21 Open A. That just proves how tough it was out there for everyone, if I still managed a middle of the pack finish in my class after all the problems I had! Sure I suffered some bumps and bruises and my bike received a broken front number plate, shredded graphics, and new scrapes and gouges all over. But hey, it was great fun and I will remember this race for a long time and I am sure others will too!

The Stumpjumpers quickly tallied and posted the results as other Stumpjumper M/C members directed a kid’s race on a much friendlier kids loop. The awards ceremonies were held and most rushed on home to watch the SUPERBOWL.

This was a great event and I wish everyone could be fortunate enough to experience what the Pacific North West has to offer to the Off-Road world. In the end it was just another NMA race day in paradise!

Roscoe REVERUP Rainey

Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Another great write-up! U could make a living doing this. And I agree about our Pacific N.W and the ample riding opportunities we have here. It's awsome and beautiful here!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1