Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Default EC250 Idles hardly ever

hello new forum,01' ec250 .The old ongoing problem even with the LTR jets,Idles real high simmers down and peeders out since the bike was new.Another poster on the other site said to try a KDX needle.I have tried several pilot jets,the thing either screams or has some other quirky unstable result.Running champion water pumper oil @50 to 1,or 45 to 1 sometimes.I ride within a few feet of sea level.Otherwise the bike runs great. I guess i will order some needles and get agrivated some more unless someone knows another starting point.Thanks for any help-Don

Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Sounds like you should investigate a blocked passage in the carb body to me. Nobody's needle will help with idle, unless you've cranked the idle so far up that the gas is pulling through the main jet for idle, which I've heard of, so make sure that's not happening.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Could the high reving and cutting out be due to an air leak? Such as a small crack in the airboot or reed valve boot. I'm thinking that extra air could cause the engine to race and then the too lean mixture causes it to cut out.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Lean condition sounds right.

If the suggestions above don't fix the issue -> Depending on the amount of time on the bike, you might want to have a leak down test performed on the motor to ensure that you don't have a leaking crank seal.

Motion pro has a nice leak down tester - kinda expensive though...

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...k_down_tester/

jeff
Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Hmmm,after reading these replies i think i will pull the carb off and check it more closly,and look at the boots.I like that pressure tester-too pricey though id rather just change the stator side crank seal.The seal on the clutch side would pull oil in and it smoke a lot...right?I did have one pilot in it where it would come to a normal idle from any throttle position for about 10 seconds and it would just go right to that barley running 150 rpm put- put for quite a while before it would shut off.Im going to mess around with it this weekend and i will be back to check forums too-thanks.-don
71'CT70
72'Trail 90
06'bayou 250
84'pw80
chi-com z-50''pitbull''
Old 07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Site Sponsor

Don,

Roostafish is right on track. When you look into the carb for any debris/obstructions and you are doing the cleaning, you will notice 2 discharge ports from the pilot circuit. The obvious one is the small hole in the throat downstream of the slide, the other is located directly underneath the trailing side of the slide. With the slide out, look straight down to the engine side of the slide recess, its there. Remove the jets and air correction screw, make sure both of these are cleared using carb clean and compressed air and verify they are flowing free. Clean the air correction circuit and while you are at it do the main fuel and air circuits too.

In addition to checking/replacing the L. crank seal you should check your reeds for any cracks or sealing issues while you have the carb off to eliminate other possibilities. Good luck.

www.lt-racing.com
Port Orchard, WA USA
Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Hey, I have that problem...

Maybe not as bad, as my bike doesn't race at idle. When letting off the throttle, it'll idle at one speed for a bit, then drop to a lower speed and just about stall.

I think I'll go through my carb as well. I'll post the results.
2016 Africa Twin
1975 Honda CB400 F1 (X2, projects)
2019 RE 650INT
1982 KDX80
2017 KAW EX300
1982 XL500R
2015 HUSKY FE501S
1972 HON CB175
Old 08-26-2006, 05:40 AM

Thumbs down futile efforts on idle

Yep,thats exactly the problem im still having.I changed the flywheel side crank seal(it was drooling but i dont think it was creating a air leak).Checked the boots to.I replaced the reeds with boysen carbon fiber pro,the old ones primary stage were not sealing-not laying flat.Took the carb apart for the upteenth time-messed around with pilot jets again too.It seems more adjustable now with the new reeds and it will hold a idle for a little bit but its not right.I took the left side PV cover off and started the engine and had it idling for 15 min.What the @#$$%!!!!!!????.Now i have the exhaust off and the other side of the PV apart and im watchin the valve work.Seems fine to me.Maybe too much back pressure with the turbine core silencer???-Naaaa cant be,or i would say probibly not i guess.I dont know im goin nuts.Puttin it back together for a South jersey enduro tomorrow-beat the crud out of it maybe that will work.Any ideas graetly appreciated-Don N.J.
71'CT70
72'Trail 90
06'bayou 250
84'pw80
chi-com z-50''pitbull''
Old 08-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

It sounds to me you may be running way too rich and that's why it will not idle. My '04 didn't want to idle at all until I put the 38 pilot in. Now it idles great.

Another clue is when I broke the stock exhaust spigot. When this happend the bike seemed to run leaner and the rpm's were higher at idle.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM

Thumbs up got it

your right eff-I put in a 40 pilot and new reeds that seat flat and its much better.I had a 38 in it but it didnt want to run right-after i put in the 40 i was looking in the 38 and it had some crud stuck in it!Ran a mudsliging enduro in south jersey yesterday and it idled enough of the time to keep me out of trouble.Im going to try the 38 again-how many turns should i start with the air screw?-thanks -Don
71'CT70
72'Trail 90
06'bayou 250
84'pw80
chi-com z-50''pitbull''