Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM

When I had my float issues on the '05, the only way I could be satisfied that I was doing it right was to hook the carb up to a fuel source and work the float.

Seeing is believing.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Can I please request a sticky on this thread?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM

Thread is stuck.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Glenn.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM

I have always adjusted my float height very succssfully for years to improve milege. But I went very lean on my '11 300 and was still getting poor milege and at time hard starting. I was even so lean on the float that I would run out of gas when WOT in the sand.

Anyway what I found was the thin wire that snaps on to the float needle has a slight crown in it and it would not allow the needle to consistently seat. Sure enough when I removed the wire and just ran the needle and float, milege and staating are cured. Just in case others are still stuggling with their ASII it would be something to check.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 AM

Default ASII Float Level With Pix

I found some helpful description in a Beta 2 stroke manual.
It was a bit confusing to me how to measure, but the picture helped.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/wnry.png/
Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 AM

Just phoned GasGas uk and he said there is not float height measurmnet !

He said if its coming out the overflow while on the side stand keep moving the tab up until it stops !

Usefull its not !
Old 08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My thanks to those who contributed in this thread. It's taken me forever to finally tear into the bike and adjust the float level. I'm going to tell you what has been repeated again and again in regards to jetting the GasGas. ADJUST THE FLOAT FIRST. I didn't, don't be like me haha!

I spent quite a few hours getting the jetting dialed in just right for my bike. And although it ran great, had lots of power, and linear delivery, I could never dial out this significant burble just off idle. The first few millimeters of throttle were never clean, and as I got to be a better technical rider I found that clean carburetion right in those first few millimeters is most important.

Well, it's all different now! Huge success after the adjustment. The bike does everything better and is clean right off idle. Screw adjustments are very noticeable and effective now. That burble is gonzo! Cheers to those who contribute to the forum and share knowledge for our community.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
I have read a lot recently about poor fuel economy and the adjust-ability (or lack thereof) of the float height of the the ASII. I only have a couple of hours on my '11 EC 300, but with a 40 pilot, E3CH needle in #2, and a 172 main at 5000 feet, I shouldn't use half a tank in an hour of trail riding.
I read that the "adjustment tang" was plastic and could not be adjusted. I opened mine up to find out for myself and thought I would share some interesting fact that I learned.

Pix #1: you can see that the adjustment tang on mine is indeed metal and will bend. I was very careful, because the whole float assembly looks pretty flimsy.
Also, note the witness mark in the center of the right float. It is obvious that the top of the float has been spending some time pinned against the top of the float chamber... In fact, when I turned the carb upside-down, the weight of the float caused it to lay hard against the top of the chamber with no perceptible cushioning by the viton tip of needle in the seat.

Pix #2: The rough casting in the center at the top of the float chamber is what caused the witness mark on the float.

Pix #3: This view confirms that the float height as referenced to the seam in the float is not usable in the ASII. when the float is level to the carb body, the seam is well below the bowl-carb mating surface.

Pix#4: After bending my tang, the carb angle is changed perceptibly in the "lower fuel level" direction. There is also a perceptible contact cushion of the viton tip of the needle.

I have to wait to get my suspenders back from Les at LTR before I can give accurate milage nos. But I will follow up with the info here.
i am confuse pic 3 would allow less fuel in the chamber as it will close the valve faster than pic 4 therefore using less fuel and get better millage ??
thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Jakobi's reply to the original post should clear up your question.
#3 is only shown as an illustration of the seam. Read what he says in my copy below.

I hope this helps.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Pic 3 will be with the float just freeballing so that you can see the seam. The next one Pic 4, will be with the carb laying on an angle so that the float tang rests against the needle. If you flip the carb all the way upside down you'll notice it will fully depress the needle and you won't get a correct level either.

Thats the same as how I've set mine up. Just off level. The measurement is taken from the body to the lowest point of the float. About where the AL1 is printed on the body (between L and 1). Stock i think is around 6mm which puts the floats level across body. I moved to somewhere between 7 and 8mm (to compensate for the weird angle the GG carb sits at - tilted forwards).

Running similar jetting specs to the poster (42 N3CJ#2 172) I get over 100kms out of my 9.5L (1000ft+ 90F. 70%+RH)
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Tags
hour