Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM

A second spacer between the reed block and the engine will make power delivery much more linear, a lot like a trials bike, but you will loose some mid and top end power. As mentioned, going a touch richer on the air screw is less dramatic but effective fix.

I learnt at training, counter intuitive though it is, that riding much more aggresively in slick ground conditions increases control over trying to 'feel' for rear wheel grip with very small throttle openings. However, for us mere mortals, plenty of throttle on a 300 through the trees isn't going to end well. For myself, the answer lay in down sizing to a 200, easier to concentrate on riding with the smaller bike bike, instead of fighting for control with the 300.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

In the real slick conditions I find aggression gets you nowhere. Smooth keeps you flowing, and the best way to achieve this is to still use a lot of throttle, but run a few gears higher than normal and really labour it up. Body language, I guess is still somewhat aggressive, feet on the pegs, head over the bars, but obviously being a lot more cautious of what could bring you undone too. I guess a bit more emphasis on line selection. Adds to the 'smooth'
Old 02-27-2014, 07:01 AM

Quick in mud keeps tires clean. I would say best way to think about it is be intelligently aggressive. I personally cannot ride like that but a riding buddy can and it is magnificent the traction he can maintain by riding aggressively. But back to the main question. Seat time is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to bike control.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
I can relate to your goal. Since this GasGas is the smoothest 2 stroke I have ever had I'm seeing how close I can get it to a 4 stroke-Not that I have ever owned one I know I'll never get the over rev but how the power builds continues to improve.
So I was running
Stock cylinder,pipe, and squish (1.9mm), NEDW 4th (Yes this is rich but ran fine and filled in when the Power valve opens) 50 pilot, 175 main when the temperature was 30 F. Ignition soft, heavy FWW, Rekluse, Shortened silencer 4 inches This was really quite good. I have a lot of miles on this set up

I had another head from my 05 that was done for that bike. So I put it on my 2011

Stock cylinder and pipe, 1.6-1.7 squish , NEDW 2, 48 pilot, 172 main, 1mm power valve shim, FWW, Temp 50 F, Shortened silencer 4 inches, Ignition soft and hard (Funny thing is I liked the soft in the open when I was always running in the upper revs but in the single track I went to the hard so when I wanted to clutch it and go it responded faster-I am a 2 stoke guy) After 60 miles I think it is better than my last setup.....Time will tell.

For those non GasGas owners reading this- this thing really hooks up. I am just screwing with it more than anything. I enjoy the chase.
Went for another ride today. The shim and leaning out my jetting really works well. Very strong seamless power. Very easy to transition on and off the power valve because the power valve can hardly be felt. Running the ignition in the hard mode. Bike is fast and smooth. The only thing it doesn't have is great over rev. For what I do I don't need it. If you like the feeling of a 2 stroke hit this is not the solution. This is a 3 stroke solution. My 250 rr Beta feels radical compared to the GasGas. I can ride the Beta if I want the traditional 2 stoke sensation.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM

I am going out on Saturday and I will be trying the air screw to richen it up first. It looks like it may be drier than it has been for the past two months. I will report back on the air screw.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 PM

I went out this last Saturday for the first time since I posted this thread. I listened and hopefully learned a lot from everyone on this thread. After riding on Saturday, I think I am in love with my 300. The only thing I have done so far is soften the front and rear and fatten it up a bit. Because it is a fire breather and jetting is spot on. I also listened to some of you guys and ran around in 3rd and 4th gear all day long and had a blast!! I am still going to put a G2, but I think that may be it. Especially since spring is here and we will start heading to the mountains and the trails are different and not quite as slimy. Thanks again for all the help.

Marc
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500