Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Default Top end questions

Hey guys first post so go easy on me please. Doing my first top end on a 09 ec250. Seems to run ok but kinda want to start from scratch with hours on the top end and it?s cold so good time to tinker. So I have Pulled the cylinder and cleaned her all up than scotchbrite on the cylinder walls but I can feel a lip up near the top. First off is it possible to get a shop to hone the cylinder with a diamond hone and will that work with the Nikasil coating that is currently on it? My second question is does anybody know the clearence tolerance between piston and cylinder if I install a Forged pistons vs a cast on or does it matter? Manual states .055mm to .1mm clearence I believe if I have her right. Or should I just slap a C piston (66.35) in it and not worry about the barely discernible ridge as the rest of the cylinder looks good with crosshatching and feels smooth?
Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 AM

C size & send it is what I'd do.
How many hours on cylinder?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Thanks shawbagga, that?s exactly what I think I will do than. As far as hours,no clue but I believe lots.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

You can run it this way but make sure you use the same thickness base gasket or slightly thicker. You do not want the new piston and ring running into the cylinder ridge.

A diamond hone used to finish size the plating will also remove the ridge and true the cylinder but you will need the larger piston.

Just to confirm, is the original piston and cylinder sized for a B piston?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Lightbulb

Yes Zman, the piston jug is marked b and the piston I removed was a b piston as well. Thanks for the reply, I just was not sure if I could get the cylinder diamond honed and keep the nichsel coating so thanks. Also it makes sense to throw a bigger or thicker gasket on the base of the jug in order to keep the new piston rings from contacting the ridge at the top of jug. Honestly I did not even think of doing that so thanks again man.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullanova View Post
Also it makes sense to throw a bigger or thicker gasket on the base of the jug in order to keep the new piston rings from contacting the ridge at the top of jug. Honestly I did not even think of doing that so thanks again man.
The downside of a thicker base gasket is that your squish band will be higher than before. Most of these engines have too big squish clearence. Do you know if the head has been reworked to reduce the squish?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The downside of a thicker base gasket is that your squish band will be higher than before. Most of these engines have too big squish clearence. Do you know if the head has been reworked to reduce the squish?
I agree that going with a significantly larger base gasket will be a problem as well.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys. So if I understand correctly, I can get the cylinder honed by a shop with a diamond hone to remove the lip at top of the cylinder provided I have enough plating left todo this correct? Or do I need to get the cylinder re coated and than get her diamond honed at which point I may as well go with an A piston size? Much appreciated guys, thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

A machine shop that deals with plated cylinders can hone it. Check first. They will tell you if it needs replating.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullanova View Post
Thanks for the info guys. So if I understand correctly, I can get the cylinder honed by a shop with a diamond hone to remove the lip at top of the cylinder provided I have enough plating left todo this correct?
Yes that is correct.

If the cylinder is worn too much they may tell you to replate it.