Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 AM

Default Swingarm spindle stuck/seized

I've undone the nut on the LHS of the spindle and it looks like the RHS is a flat head with a cut-out for a weld to stop it spinning so you can tighten the nut.

Now i've tried hammering the spindle with a drift, putting the nut on and hammering a socket over the nut (this seems to give it a more solid wack) and also tried a puller on it but as the puller arms have nothing to hold I held the puller to the frame with jubilee clips and it snapped one of those.

Any ideas or options - since I don't think there is a problem with the bearings I could just put it back together. I did notice one of the spacers on the inside of the swingarm was cracked though and I'd like to strip and re-grease the bearings.

I also wondered if I could tap the RHS of the axle and try to pull it out with a bolt doing the work I guess if it fails I have lost nothing as the stripped threads are not needed normally anyway...

Do these normally seize or I was wondering if I could have bent it. I have a friend going to the states soon should I ask him to get me a bearing kit? They would be about 1/2 price there but of course I may not need it?

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I used a cheap puller, and hooked it to the frame, adding just as much torque to hold it in position for smacking the puller bolt with a BIG axe. Repeatedly. Use plenty of penetrating oil, loosen all linkages and perhaps the other motor mounts.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM

I had to loosen all of the linkage and then it freed up the swingarm bolt enough so I could drive it out with a long socket extention.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM

Are they normally corroded in or just stiff?

I'm thinking of tapping the side it pulls out and try to pull it out that way then if that's not enough I can also hit it.

I have undone the linkage plates so the swingarm is not really connected to anything.

Is it likeys I will need all new bearings, seals etc? it's an 05 and I guess it's never been touched before. If so perhaps I would be better leaving it since there's no play in it now (why pay for new bearings if there's nothing wrong with the ones in there?)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Almost any 3 year old bike will have the same problem if you never took it apart to grease it. Penatrating oil, patience and a big hammer is all you need.

Mike Baxter
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM

The bearings and bushings are likely trashed. Lots of penetrating oil, loosen the motor mounts and thousands of little taps on the bolt should free it. Try this it has worked for me lately. Once you get the bolt to move a little bit liberaly douse it with penetrating oil and tap it back to where it was then start tapping it out again. I have found this in/out motion on loosen/tighten method works far beeter that trying to force it. Good luck.

Paul B
Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

yup got it via the big hammer method...

now please read my post on numbers of O rings and things....

cheers for all the help as I pause working to type and drink tea...