Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Default autoclutch options

Hello,

Looking to find out options for an autoclutch on a 2011 EC300. Is there any crossover to other bikes? Also - any details on what works best? I ride trail / enduro / single track.

thanks

Old 04-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Here's what was on the box of the Rekluse for my 2011 EC250 when I sold it (the clutch).

Definitely different strokes for different folks, but as for what works best for trail / enduro / singletrack? A properly manipulated manual clutch. Especially when the manual clutch is a hydraulic GasGas one that is the epitome of perfection.

My bike had the Rekluse on it when I bought it. I rode it for one ride with it on. I seriously don't understand how people ride difficult terrain with it. Precise metering of torque to the rear tire is EVERYTHING when it comes to technical riding, and an autoclutch does literally the exact opposite of that. While it does potentially smooth everything out (though only if you're unable to do it manually with a regular clutch), it decreases the control you have, not increases it.

I will say, though I don't like the product, the design and machine work on those Rekluse pieces is beyond magnificent. $1000 sounds expensive for one of their clutch kits, but as a mechanical engineer that works in a machine shop, I have no clue how they make any money on those pieces at $1000 sell price. They are truly works of both engineering and art.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the detailed response - Funny, I am an engineer as well (R&D / NPD) and I often think the same thing about how companies are making money - but I think it boils down to QTY. If you are making a lot of something, the price decreases significantly regardless of the complexity. It is the setup / tooling cost that is really high. Material and running the job is cheap, especially with CNC machining and multi-axis machines.

Anyways, I think you are probably right. I am used to my KDX clutch, so I am sure coming to the hydraulic GG clutch is going to feel like heaven.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Oh heck yea. If you're just getting on the bike, I'd definitely give it a try first. I've ridden a lot of bikes, and IMO, the GG hydraulic clutch is the best out there. Even friends of mine with their doo-dad levers and special springs, and this, and that, etc. don't feel as good.