Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default R&r Top End

How many hours are you guys running the bike before you change out the top end.
Currently I have 88 hours on the stock top end...all trail riding/single track.
Also what piston and base gasket(s) are you using?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 AM

As a rule I do mine at 75 - 100 hrs mixed racing/riding or after a solid season of harder riding, like on my previous GGs with no hour meter. With good oil at 36:1 and always a clean filter they have come out looking great but there is also the fatigue factor to consider. Usually I do it during winter for piece of mind during the next season. My '07 had around 88 hrs on the stock top end and most of the coating was still on the piston. I have been using Vertex pistons and go up a micro size from stock. As far as base gaskets I had my head done by Ron for use with a single .5mm. Usually they come stock with both a .3 mm and .5mm and have way too much squish. You can safely go to a single .3mm with a stock head, but check your squish anyway with solder or clay before pulling the cyl.

I'd say you are coming due but I wouldn't sweat it if the hours are relatively easy. If compression is good, no piston slap, and things look good through the exhaust port, do it at the next convienient opportuniy as its not an emergency.