Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I shimmed with a different spacer so the bolt head doesn't contact the stand and that has seemed to work the best out of anything I've tried.
The spacer must be wider then the kickstand to maintain bolt torque. When new I removed a small amount of material from frame side of kickstand at spacer area. No problems for over a year. But don't let the stand sink in the mud and fall over you will snap the bolt. The EE stand foot helps with that.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

The older KTM`s had the same issue, thats why Pro Moto Billet kick stands exist. My 05 KTM 525 kick stand lasted 5 rides and the I put the PMB on. Never had another issue. The only problem is that PMB does not make one for a GasGas.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM

I would like to find a bolt similar to this one...

http://www.trailtech.net/kickstands/...-for-ktm-98-01
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post

McMaster Carr saves the day!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=rxpiuk

If the link doesn't work, search for "shoulder bolt" or Shoulder screw." Filter by Metric, then select your dimension.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:

the Ktm 950 Adventure uses something very similar to mount the stock skid plate. Could be very close to the right dimensions even. I 'll take measurements tonight and see if they'd fit as I just happen to have a couple kicking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post

If the link doesn't work, search for "shoulder bolt" or Shoulder screw." Filter by Metric, then select your dimension.
Oooo even better....
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post

Thanks - I knew the forum "engineer" would have a great idea. Now I need to figure out exactly want the dimensions of this bolt would be.....

More to come.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Thanks - I knew the forum "engineer" would have a great idea. Now I need to figure out exactly want the dimensions of this bolt would be.....

More to come.
Remember, it's always easier to turn a bolt down to fit than try to size it up. If they don't have exactly what you want, get one that is a touch oversized. I am certain that someone will help get it to work. But buy two, just because things happen. Heck, it's McMaster, they only sell in bulk (mostly). Buy 10, then sell the rest for 10% more than you paid and then your investment is covered.

Hint: I own a lathe.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 PM

first two times mine came loose I loctited th bolt in a just slightly loose position to allow th stand to operate freely.both times loose after a ride or two.last time I actually nipped it up so th bolt was a little tight slightly pinching th stand and loctited th crap out of it.it hasn't come loose for 20 or so rides now.stand drags when operated but on th plus side it doesn't self retract into ur shin.the design problem is th bolt lacks support on th frontside so rocks in th thread,working loose,allowing stand to slide outwards on bolt thread.even a mm gap at back of stand increases th leverage on th bolt eventually bending it(like bending steel rod in a vise its hard to bend right at vise,but easier further out).my thinking was that th bolt has to be tight all th time to prevent th rocking.so far its working, albeit with quite a stiff stand action(maybe it will wear loose and leav th bolt tight?yeah right).th only proper fix is an outer flange welded to frame(aargh!yikes!)that supports th bolt head and allowing th bolt to be held true and properly tight while th stand is free to move.th stand head is also too small and sinks at th hint of soft ground.small metal lid off pasta sauce about 2in rnd under foot is handy conversation starter.fits in ur pocket.mind th self retract tho,or it will flick it 20yds behind u past ur m8's face.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Site Sponsor

I agree with bergerhag. The 14' kickstand bolt looks like it should mount right up. It looks like you should be able to just drill and tap the threads to 10mm and use the 14' pivot bolt. I am going to order some up, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I would deffinately recommend red locktiting the threads on the pivot bolt.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Let us know! I can confirm that using a small headed bolt or taking material off the stand so that the bolt contacts the bushing only, works. Been riding all summer like this and with loctite it has yet to work loose. Since it's not coming loose there is pressure on the bolt so it hasn't bent yet either. This is the 3rd bolt in 6 months so Its going strong!