Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM

If you think they like the 250 read the 300 test. They just gushed about how good it was and finally said in stock trim it's better than the KTM. And also notice in the 250 test that they ask why no other company with similar bikes offers a 6 speed gearbox. Another GG perk which was also one of the reasons for me to buy one.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't know about the KTM 200 but for the new KTM and GAS GAS 250/300s are practically the same weight when similarly equipped. Both are very light, just choose whether you want electric start or 6 gears. My 2007 GG ec250 is about 10 pounds lighter than my 2001 GG xc300 which means it is 15 pounds lighter than my old Kawasaki kdx200 which all the mags talked about being a light bike.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasIdaho View Post
In the DR mag article the GG is listed at 258 lbs with full tank. Alot heavier than I expected.
I built that bike for the DR Torture Test. The bike weighed 234lbs without fuel but with all other fluids, hand guards, skid plate, steering damper, lights etc. The GG300 was the lightest bike in the group by ten pounds. Never trust advertised weight specs.
We were also the one of the only bikes in the test that went to weigh in with the lights installed as instructed.

BTW, we are preparing for the 2009 Torture Test now.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrider View Post
Yes, just a little slower than the KTM300 and Christini AWD. The Christini system isn't cheap...

Most of those guys had already ridden the KTM and are use to it. I wonder what would have happened with a little more seat on the GG???
Actually, the score keeper must have transposed the results because Casseli was fastest through the endurocross on the KTM, then Jim Senecal six seconds behind on the GG then Jeff on the Christini KTM 36 seconds later. In all fairness though, Jeff Aaron was very fast but got a bad hop off a rock that slowed him down.

Another note about that test...I put the motor together at the very last minute before we drove to the event, with no time at all for testing. The first time the engine ran was when Jimmy Lewis jumped on it to do the drag and speed tests. The bike was so rich that it absolutely would not run on at all on the main, it just coughed and sputtered all the way down the track and suffered worst in the 3rd gear roll-on test. Considering that, we did very well against all the big 4 strokes at the test. I think we would have set the quickest standing-start times if not for the jetting.
As soon as we got the bike back, we dropped the needle, went down two main sizes and the bike RIPPED!!! It was kind of cool sitting in the pit area and watching all of the heads turn when the 300 went up the big Glen Helen hills on the pipe.

This year we will have time to do some testing before we turn the bike over to the wrecking crew.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM

The May 2009 Dirt Bike has a shootout of the GasGas 300, KTM 300 and Husky 300 2 strokes.

Dirt Bike continues to drink the orange kool-ade.

DB had a hard time believing the GasGas could be so close to the KTM. In their mind the GG hasn't changed in 10 years.

They really liked the GG engine.

They said the GG was more nimble than the KTM, even though it outweighed the KTM by 17 lbs (237 vs 220).

They gave the KTM suspension the nod - you wonder where they actually ride?

The KTM was the declared the winner because it had an e-start.

They picked the Husky over the GG since the Husky was $1000 lower priced.

It is like the news media - you have to factor in the bias.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM

I just gotta laugh at the magazine write-ups. It's a bummer, for sure, as it does affect sales. The funny thing is if you ask any pro that's ridden one (David Kamo and Cory Graffunder are two I've talked to) they have readily told me the bikes were great and they could easily race them. For them the deciding factor is money and support. KTM pays their bills, so that's what they ride. If GasGas stepped up and offered any pro a bike and parts allowance, most would go for it if it was as good or better than their current deal. A bike is a bike, and all of the bikes are pretty good (with some exceptions). I've ridden Hondas, Yamahas, KTMs and of course GasGas bikes and for me, spending my own money (with support from GasGas Pacific - thanks Dave!) the GasGas is the right choice.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Dirt Rider on-line review...

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...00r/index.html
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Glad to see Jimmy has a brain and can recognize a bike for what it is.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Default GasGas - 237# vs KTM - 220#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
The May 2009 Dirt Bike has a shootout of the GasGas 300, KTM 300 and Husky 300 2 strokes.

Dirt Bike continues to drink the orange kool-ade.

DB had a hard time believing the GasGas could be so close to the KTM. In their mind the GG hasn't changed in 10 years.

They really liked the GG engine.

They said the GG was more nimble than the KTM, even though it outweighed the KTM by 17 lbs (237 vs 220).

They gave the KTM suspension the nod - you wonder where they actually ride?

The KTM was the declared the winner because it had an e-start.

They picked the Husky over the GG since the Husky was $1000 lower priced.

It is like the news media - you have to factor in the bias.
What I can't figure out is how the KTM is listed as 220 in the review which is lighter that the actual dry weight listed on KTM's website at 221.34 and the GasGas comes in at a whopping 237 when the dry weight is 216. (They are shipped Forward Air and they weigh 218 with the FMF Gnarly Pipe - including all fluids except gas) - 216 dry weight

They do mention like most of the reviews that the GasGas actually feels
lighter - (Trials background = excellent frame geometry IMHO)

BTW: GasGas EC300's will have electric start models offered in the fall.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

FYI...
I added the 2010 bike review (CycleNews) in the main summary list above. If you find any new GG reviews, please post them here and I will index them. Thanks!