Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Default is it ok?

Hello doing another job on the bike I thought id have a peep in the exhaust port and look at what I could of the piston cylinder. Now im still new to offroaders so dont really kkow what im looking for. A compression test says 185psi which I think is ok
So any observations on the following pics

Side of piston

What im really after is there anything that makes u think omg change that piston straight away! I dont know excatly how long this piston has been in so I imagine the reaponse will be just change it anyway but id rather not uat yet id if I dont have to!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Old 11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Things that make you go AHH, are gouges scraping and scoring. Damage to the ring area. If you see large volumes of blow by (staining from combustion below the rings) its a sign you might need a top end.

From what I see you have little blow by and still evidence of some coating on the piston. Good compression too. I'd ride some more.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Things that make you go AHH, are gouges scraping and scoring. Damage to the ring area. If you see large volumes of blow by (staining from combustion below the rings) its a sign you might need a top end.

From what I see you have little blow by and still evidence of some coating on the piston. Good compression too. I'd ride some more.
I agree.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:46 PM

brilliant, I thought that was the case but wanted to check, I had been hearing some noise on deceleration and also on start up from a bit of reading I think its my power valve so will take that side apart and see if theres any slack which I think Ive now got figured out in my head thanks to the site!
im guessing its a new gasket everytime a tranny cover and power valve cover comes off?
maybe i'll just put up with some noise for a while!

and im really pleased Ive got a compression reading while it still looks ok so I can keep an eye on that periodically
Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsimon View Post
brilliant, I thought that was the case but wanted to check, I had been hearing some noise on deceleration and also on start up from a bit of reading I think its my power valve so will take that side apart and see if theres any slack which I think Ive now got figured out in my head thanks to the site!
im guessing its a new gasket everytime a tranny cover and power valve cover comes off?
maybe i'll just put up with some noise for a while!

and im really pleased Ive got a compression reading while it still looks ok so I can keep an eye on that periodically
Grease both sides of your gaskets when you have them off, then in the future they just fall off when taking the cover off and can re-used.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

[QUOTE=imsimon;143350]brilliant, I thought that was the case but wanted to check, I had been hearing some noise on deceleration and also on start up from a bit of reading I think its my power valve so will take that side apart and see if theres any slack which I think Ive now got figured out in my head thanks to the site!
. . .y[/QUOTE ]
And the actuator lever at bottom touching the case vibrates. A light tickle will fix it if thus afflicted. Look for shiny witness marks on the ally case where the lever may rest when closed.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 11-09-2014, 12:53 PM

mine used to rattle like hell on deceleration. use silicone sealer on the exhaust o-rings and let it dry for a couple hours, quitened it right up
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopsycho87 View Post
mine used to rattle like hell on deceleration. use silicone sealer on the exhaust o-rings and let it dry for a couple hours, quitened it right up

ohh lovely funnily enough when I took the exhaust one of the O-rings had perished. so I will try that! now being that im stupid are the O-rings supposed to be solid or rubber? I had one that is in tact that is solid for want of a better word and the other looks like a rubber washer???
Old 11-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsimon View Post
ohh lovely funnily enough when I took the exhaust one of the O-rings had perished. so I will try that! now being that im stupid are the O-rings supposed to be solid or rubber? I had one that is in tact that is solid for want of a better word and the other looks like a rubber washer???
Didn't you ask about these o-rings back in January?