Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Very high idle problem

I took my bike out today, but unfortunatly I couldn't use it.

It's 2002 ec200

I started the bike in the normal way, with the choke out and second kick it fired. But it went straight up near to the red-line and stayed there when I pushed the choke in it stayed there. It kept doing this and was idling irraticly and mainly screaming the nuts off it.

It acts as if the throttle cable is sticking, but I've checked it about six times, as well as a few helpful other riders. And there is not a problem, it's lifting the slide, and snapping shut.

I also took the carb out and gave it a quick clean with a rag, but I couldn't see any dirt in it, and the clean made no difference.

I also changed the plug, but this made no difference

I'm going to clean the carb with carby cleaner now, but if this doesn't work I'm completly lost as to what the problem could be (as I have checked, and checked the throtle cable).

Any ideas anyone?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 AM

"Back in the day" a high idle could have be indicative of an air leak. Check anywhere you could have developed a leak. Head or base gaskets and any intake gaskets. An air leak could also be found at a torn or compromised crank seal. Old school guys would spray water or some sort of cleaner around the aforementioned areas while the motor was running. When you find the "bad spot" the idle will come down.

Also, be sure to check that cable again. I've seen instances where the cable will pull out of it's sleeve near the carb. and become "hung up." Good luck.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE=bobr;9456Also, be sure to check that cable again. I've seen instances where the cable will pull out of it's sleeve near the carb. and become "hung up." Good luck.[/QUOTE]

that happened to me om my ktm 200. took about a half hour to figure it out.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Check the carb boot between the carb and the reeds. It is prone to cracking.

Paul B
Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 AM

took the carb out and spray it and all the jets etc with carby cleaner, popped it back in and she's running fine now. Did an enduro race on a sand track last weekend, might have got some in my carb when I took the air filter out.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM

Its likely you sucked up sand through the vent lines. It then settles in the bowl, and is drawn up with the fuel, jamming the needle in the nozzle. A sure sign is vertical scratches on the needle. Do a search on carb vent filters.