Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:50 AM

Default Lots of smoke

Hi
I recently bought an ec300 2010 model. Have been green laning three times. The last time out I dropped it going about 5 mph and slightly dented the front of the exhaust. I carried on and all seamed ok. On the roads on the way home I took it up to approx 70 mph, after a short while my mate who was following said masses of smoke came from the exhaust. I pulled over and could see tiny red hot cinders coming out the exhaust. I continued home approx 3 miles very sedately.
When home I could see nothing obviously wrong and it started and ran ok. There was a coating of oil on the rhs of the rear tyre and the brake..
Today I have taken off the exhaust expecting to find coke deposits that had come loose but could not find any. There was evidence of black oil in the exhaust and the spark plug of also oily.
Any ideas?
Kind regards
John

Old 12-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Tell us more..

Sounds rich to me. Was it doing this prior to the laydown and you've only noticed since? Stock jetting they run fluffy as and drool and smoke like chimneys.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for coming back to me.
Always smoked a bit and rode about 3 miles after the lay down The massive smoking only occurred when I got to about 70 mph so pulled over. Red cinders where coming out of the exhaust it also was smoking from the rhs breather pipe. Wondered if the wading in the silencer may have something to do with the cinders
Old 12-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

My guess is that it has been run easy until you took it up to 70. The easy riding/rich mixture coats the inside of the pipe with oil, and once you pushed the exhaust gasses to a higher than previous temperature, the oily coating started burning off. Also, if you dump it (or run rich for a long time), gas will drain straight into the cylinder, and the piston will pump unburned gas into the pipe, where it will sit until it reaches combustion temperature.

When I mention rich mixture above, I'm not talking about your oil ratio, rather the jetting. You can run 100:1, and have it too rich and cause this situation (lots of smoke) more easily than someone running 32:1 with proper jetting. The flame temperature of the oil will contribute as well, you need to get the right oil for your riding style. High temp oil in a trail bike will cause lots of smoke.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks Phil. What specs on the jetting should I use.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Look in the carb section, plenty of info to absorb. Then while you are at it repack your muffler and burn out the perforated tube the wadding sits on. Or replace it with new tubing if it is a bit fragile, muffler places should be able to source the same diameter.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-13-2014, 05:44 PM

Got some wadding on order. Thanks all