Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Need help learning to stand up!!

The sitting down part i got figured out!! It's the standing part thats got me miffed. I ride in New Hampshire which means a lot of roots and rocks. When it's wet then its slipppery roots and rocks. Most trails are on the tight side too. In the wide open standing isn't such a big deal. It's in the tight stuff where i run into problems. The two biggest problems are shifting while standing and trusting the front wheel not to wash out. I've followed riders who stand through sections that have me sitting so i know it can be done.

As far as shifting goes i have small feet. Size 8 so when standing on my arches my foot still doesn't reach the shifter. this means moving my foot off the peg to get up to the shifter. In rough sections that means riding on one foot which seems to move too much weight around and throws you off balance. It is a bit unsettling. Right now the shifter is level with the foot peg. I'm going to move it up about an inch to see if that helps. I'm curious "foot techniques" the stand up guys use to shift.

The other issue that "whigs" me out is being up on the pegs head over the headlight and having the front end slide around like it wants to wash out. Remember, lots of big 2 foot round pine trees to kiss with your face if my front wheel lets go. This may be bike set up issues. if so the suspension is on its way back from les. But if not ... Whats up wit dat???

Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM

I find it easier to ride standing in slow tight sections rather than sitting.
Maybe that is from riding a trials bike and steering with your feet. I have size 8 boots also and shifting is not a problem.
Take your seat off for a while, that may help!
Good Luck
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM

ouch! might help me get some nice monkey butt!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:37 PM

I've read that the pivot pegs and the power pegs help alot in the standing position. Both for shifting and rear braking. Personally I stand alot on everything but the harder technical stuff because (1) I have more control sitting and if I have to dab here and there I can. (2) If U lose control while standing, Your bike will hit the ground harder and so will U. At least me because I'm short.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM

It just takes practice. Start off going slow and standing for everything. Remember to keep your weight on your legs, not arms. your thighs are likely much stronger than your arms / shoulders. What many folks suffer from is learning to balance while crouched. If you are not balanced, you end up putting lots of weight on your arms when braking or going down hill, and using a death grip on the bars when accelerating. I stand alot while riding, much like trials riders, but I still force myself to practice, even after 35 yrs riding. I often practice locking the front wheel while standing up in mud (1st / end gear) just to make riding that way second nature and reminding myself how to balance and stay neutral. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM

I posted this similar thread over on another site and one member mentioned to weight the inside peg. I have been weighting the outside peg. Got to try it out today and i must say it worked killer. Buzzed right through a lot of stuff i would normally sit down through!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up Outside peg

Yes, that is a huge tip that really works well. Theres a big sweeping rutted corner with whoops at my local MX track. Forever I have had to creep along seated, and often getting tossed because of the ruts. I started actualy lifting my inside foot a quarter inch and standing. Now I just cruise around with little or no bobbles.

I have trouble with my shifting while standing.

The ride is pure CHAOS through the sandy whoops where I live. To alter my hand grip at all to grab the clutch lever seems like suiside to me. I handle this by simply not using the clutch. I just shut the therottle with each up shift, and shift through the gears. Im still having foot troubles because I hate to alter my foot position on the peg for my shift. Fortunatly, my GG has a fairly wide third gear, so Im not needing to shift up a lot. The GG handles well enough, that I am working tword going in fourth.

Still, suggestions are always welcomed.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 AM

I was in the same situation years ago and I'm still at the point that I work on standing technique every time I ride and in some cases I am faster sitting. All the suggestions above are right on. Here's what helped the most for me. 1) Set the bike up so it is comfortable to sit or stand. For me that meant higher, more forward bar mount position, and less sweep bars. You want to be able to stand comfortably with all your weight on the pegs, not leaning forward on the bars. 2) Practice all the time, even if you don't need to stand. 3) Be patient and enjoy the learning experience. Those people who blitz through things while standing have probably been doing it for many years.

For shifting, I have size 11 feet and have always taken my foot off the peg to shift while standing. It seemed impossible at first and now I hardly notice I shifted. Just practice.

Jon
'01 XC300
Old 01-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Riding standing up lowers the center of gravity of your bike. Well it have the same effect.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:11 AM

Skid,

Regarding the front end washout feeling while standing, it sounds like you're body postion is correct. You should be up over the headlight. I just had to keep standing until I felt comfortable with it. Sounds like practice and fresh, dialed in suspension from LTR will help you out.

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper