Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Newbie here!

whuddup peeps and peepettes! i didn't see any spot for new members on here so here's my intro...

First off my screen name is red's WR because i've ridden and raced Yamaha WR's for the past 5 years but i'm looking to get into the 2 stroke world for racing with the endurocross craze going on right now. I was leaning towards KTM just cause the dealer is only 15min away but then i read a shootout i found from 2009 with the Huskey, GasGas and KTM and liked what they said about the Gasser.

I'll probably just lurk around for a while here... study up some. I know one member here (brian) from another site and he's helped me quite a bit but i just talked to a buddy that knows a few people with gassers and has had problems with them.

I've never been on a 2 stroke so i'm hopeing to meet someone from cenral california that wouldn't mind me trying one out to make sure it's the right choice for me... i'm leaning towards the 300 since i'm coming from a 450.

hope i can stick around and put a new bike in the garage!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Welcome! Good luck with your venture into the Two Stroke World
Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You'll likely find that most of us are pretty die hard lovers of Gas Gas, but now that the poison has worn off, and you are ready to ride a two stroke, I'd say you can't lose. Each company makes great bikes. Yamaha's YZ 250 is phenomenal, the Gas Gas, the KTM, and the Husky are all wonderful bikes. If you want a 300, you'll probably be looking at those three. Add in the TM if you're willing to hunt one down. You really can't lose, because a 300 two stroke is an awfully nice bike, no matter which brand name is stamped on it.

The Husky is better than that particular shootout gave it credit for. The Gas Gas is probably the best handling bike out there, from any corner of the globe as far as I'm concerned. The KTM is mainstream, and are also well liked.

With Gas Gas, you get a nice bunch of enthusiasts, and the dealer is usually a true dirt bike enthusiast first, and a front line dealer second. Just sayin. KTM dealers have mostly stayed away from the car dealership feel, but as they grow in size, and are sold in Honda showrooms, those good dealers aren't necessarily a sure thing. No worries on parts, price or availablility.
As for Gas Gas, and aftermarket bits. THere are things out there, not a ton, but the important stuff is there.

Good luck, and enjoy your new two stroke!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM

Welcome! Mine is a 250 but I'd let you ride it. Might be able to meet up somewhere to ride sometime.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Welcome! Mine is a 250 but I'd let you ride it. Might be able to meet up somewhere to ride sometime.
yeah that'd be awesome! i just tried to start mine today... nothing but clicks from the button and i tried kicking it alot...lol. if everything goes right i'll be back actually riding hard in 2 years so i have a while to decide
Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswr View Post
yeah that'd be awesome! i just tried to start mine today... nothing but clicks from the button and i tried kicking it alot...lol. if everything goes right i'll be back actually riding hard in 2 years so i have a while to decide
hey red.. i see your posts on tt all the time..
i have a gg300 and a wr 450... the 300 has ever bit the low end power of the wr and WAY lighter...you do have to kick it, but the bike is almost unstallable.. if you were closer, you could sure ride mine..
jay
same name on tt
Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Welcome to the gang Where are you in Central Cal?? I am down in Lodi.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendr3702 View Post
hey red.. i see your posts on tt all the time..
i have a gg300 and a wr 450... the 300 has ever bit the low end power of the wr and WAY lighter...you do have to kick it, but the bike is almost unstallable.. if you were closer, you could sure ride mine..
jay
same name on tt
cool man thanks! i just got on my bike for the first time in 3 months... it was insane...lol. i've got that bike setup nicely and hate to get rid of it but it sounds like i'll be happier with the 300 and plus it'll be a while still till i can ride to my fullest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Welcome to the gang Where are you in Central Cal?? I am down in Lodi.
your up in Lodi...lol. i'm in Porterville, about an hour south of fresno. i'd like to make a trip up to Miami trails sometime soon (depends on me landing a job) but i'll be sure to post up when i'm going and maybe meet one of you guys and check out the bike!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Porterville....ok...cool, I do get down that way several times a year, as my wife has family within 20 minutes of Porterville. I'll have to bring the Gas'er down that way sometime. There is an 08 3hundo for sale in that is here locally in my area......check it out!

Do you race D-36 or D-37?

Happy Trails
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Porterville....ok...cool, I do get down that way several times a year, as my wife has family within 20 minutes of Porterville. I'll have to bring the Gas'er down that way sometime. There is an 08 3hundo for sale in that is here locally in my area......check it out!

Do you race D-36 or D-37?

Happy Trails
sweet... we've got an MX track here that we could just mess around on. I was racing D-37, a little WORCS and i did the Glen Helen 6 Hour in 2008. Like i said above probably no racing/serious riding for another couple years and thats if all goes well so i'm not in a big hurry on anything but still would like to at least ride something before i consider buying one.