Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 PM

Default 05 300ec for the road

I am seriously looking to dual sport a 300ec has any one here had any experience with this. So, I need info on electricals such as increasing charging output (DC of course), adding a battery, and integrating everything into a factory looking system. I will be using stock head/tail lights at first but plan to change to HID up front and LED tail/brake and turn signals. I live in Georgia USA and this bike WILL get alot of attention from the local law enforcement because it is next to impossible to convert dirt to street here and doing it to a 2-stroke just compounds the difficulty so it must look factory. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM

To get dc you'll need to float the ground and get a true voltage regulator.
http://trailtech.net/media/electrica...conversion.pdf
http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_stator.htm

Wiring: If you have an EC then all the wiring for a dual sport is in place. You'll need to mod it slightly for a battery, dc signal flasher and some form of off/on switch.

Turn Signals: The OEM Gas Gas signals are priced fairly and fit the rear fender extension. You can purchase the front mounts or make your own.

Horn: Remove the ac to dc converter and it will work fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 AM

Default dual sport MX

You think you have issues, I live in GA and am converting a MC250, the MX version. I'm real close to having it finished. I made the tail light/blinker combo unit out of a block of foam rubber with auto parts store tail light and it looks factory dual sport. It took a lot of time and effort for the smallest things. I have true EC300 turn signals and headlight. I found a place on the web I bought LED small amber signals-couldn't find at auto parts.

Probably going to go with a Ni-Cad type drill battery for batery, since it's primarily just for backup-I shouldn't be pulling more current than I'm making at any given moment, except for horn use. I still need to find a low current motorcycle horn. Does GA require Electric horn? I was thinkng of compressed air horn temporarily.

My friends alternate between, "You really think this is going to work?" to, "I think you're paying to much attention to detail". I want my bike to be completely within regulations(except for the two stroke thing-but in GA code, nothing says it has to be four stroke-that's federal)

I guess you'll be needing to change tires. Pirelli MT21. Look just like knobbies, but street legal and voted Dirt Bike mag best dual sport. I paid full price,$75 each, but a company, I think American tire, has them on sale for $115 a set.

I don't know about sound. In reality, these V-twins are a whole lot louder than two strokes. I have a FMF Q made for a ktm 300, and it killed all my top end, so I took the sparky out and made it straight through. It's still kind of quiet, but there isn't too quiet. There's a thing out there caled a DB-snorkel, supposed to be real quiet, but also, real odd looking, like a big rubber V-8 can with a rubber tube.

Let me know how things go.

Matt
- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Default obsticles improve the mind

Hey Matt where in N GA are you? Cause when I get rollin on this project we'll need to hook up and compare notes and take it outand thrash it when its done, gotta test it out.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Default dual sport

I'm in Gordon County. I'm doing this bike for exploring utility and pulpwood roads I see from the roads. I'd rather have my other bike dual sported, but it's jap and the serial number gives it up. I titled and insured my bike before even running a wire on this MX bike. I don't know how you'll title your bike, it has to be titled properly from the time it's bought.

You mentioned increasing lighting output power. I tried a 60w stator with a company called "Electrosport" that makes various stuff, often marketed under other names. Mine was under Moose, $150, and the bike would start only if kicked over very fast, like up on the kickstand. I think it was the small 10 oz flywheel I have, and the company has promised my money returned-I'll wait and see on that one. I also bought an Acewell computer directly from them with speedo, odo, tach, time elapsed-temp and permanent, and coolant temp.

I went back to the stock 40w, and went LED on everything. I tested all my equipment with a multimeter and power supply, and I'm pulling 29W at 13.8 v, and with even my ni-cads, I think I can run a 1.5 A horn I found, especially since I rarely use one. I'm using an Electrosport rectifier/regulator at $20, that is supposed to run off the headlight AC-I'llhave to checkout efficiency on that. I've got a self cancelling turn signal, hi-lo beam, horn, kill switch I paid $60 for. I floated the ground and just lack some simple wire runs.
- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100
Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Cool Electrosport Dakar Lighting System for my 1999 EC 300

I just bought a 1999 EC 300 that had been registered in FL for street use. Not sure what hoops the prior owner went thru, but hopefully with the transferral of title, I will also get the transferral of "registered for street use". The lighting / horn situation is not street legal however. I am looking at the Dakar Dual Sport Kit that appears to be a "do it all" kit including a battery and even an ignition switch.

Will this work with the EC 300? Again, this is stuff from Electrosport. What do you think? Is the stock stator up for it? Were the folks at Electrosport helpful on the phone?

Regards,
Jerome
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

If your ElectroSport kit includes the ESL-460 stator.
http://www.electrosport.com/shopping...tr_esl460.html
you should be good to go. I (ASSUME) this is a "Floating Ground" modified
stator. Or the Rectifier/Regulator is designed to use their stators.
Good luck as I am trying to accomplish the same. To street plate my XC300.
Jeff So. Cal.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM

http://www.thedbsnorkel.com

Skidad in MA
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM

I have the dbsnorkel on my 300. It helps a bit. More so when you're on the pipe than at tech. inspection I think. I think I was 91db at the last legit. test I took.