Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Default 2011 Rear Hub/Wheel & spoke

OK, so my project continues....it is like a never ending story or love and hate... LOL.

Does anyone know if the spoke pattern for the gasser is the same as another brand, ie Husky? I want to replace the spokes and rim. Another option is to get an entire new rear wheel set up from another brand but that takes a little more time. IE diameter of axle and hub measurements to line up sprocket and rotor etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Brent,

No, its different. You won't find a GG pattern drilled rim anywhere. Call Buchanan, they have the pattern, and will drill a Sun rim blank for you. They also supply spokes.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Wow OK those guys are expensive. $100 plus spokes. $215 for the rim.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM

Supposed to be very strong though, US made. Other than that its a part out, or another brand wheel with custom spacers. I have heard of KX and KTM wheels being fitted. Try a search here, I remember some detail in description.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM

You are always very helpful and I appreciate it very much. I have the Sun rim and Buchanan spokes coming from another source for $90.00 less.

Now that I think this whole deal through I believe the spokes are not strong enough for the way I ride and I twist the heck out of them. This 300 is torquey and I tend to brake drag and power up to keep the suspension loaded and transition smooth. I think that is planting butt loads of torque into the spokes and they can not handle it. The new rim and spokes are likely going to help as they are much stronger than stock.

I have this bike working very well and if I can figure out how to fix the POS brake and shifter lever I will be pretty much a happy camper. I rode 92 miles in Saturday and chain sawed out 45 trees. On Sunday I did another 114 miles and whacked 10 more trees. This is my time of year to giggle and truely enjoy a bike.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The spoke pattern on our Gas Gas isn't very odd. It's a standard European pattern, (cross two, cross three).
The unique part is the spoke itself. It is 10 guage at the top with a little bend, tapered to 8, then 7 guage.

I have a set of Buchanan spokes, they are inferior to the Gas Gas spokes in one key area. The nipples. The Gas Gas nipples have an allen head in the end that makes adjusting and installing them a breeze. Also breaking free a frozen spoke is possible with the Gas Gas nipple. It's worth any amount of extra dough to get the Gas Gas spokes. Buchanan also shorted me four spokes and I had to reuse some Gas Gas spokes. I contacted them. Maybe someday I'll get four spokes from them, though it's a little late.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
The spoke pattern on our Gas Gas isn't very odd. It's a standard European pattern, ......
that not right, here in europe also not every rim fits on the GasGas.
GasGas is special.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Glenn, that is strange considering no other bike such Husky, TM, KTM, etc have that pattern.
I could be wrong about my theory but this wheel has been a huge pain since day 1. The second ride out, about mile 50 one of the spokes came out of the nipple. I threaded back in. The dealer tighted them 3 times. I have done it constantly since then and this bike has very few miles. In fac, I tightened the spokes Saturday and they were loose Sunday. I am running a trials tire now and applying more grip and traction then ever.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Curious is TM wheels are a direct crossover? The older TM's shared many parts with the GG bikes.. I may have to try a set as I may know a guy with a set..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM

I was told by Buchanan and the Excel wheel distibutor that the patten was different. Its based on the AJP hub of course, and its not just a pattern but the angle that has to be considered. I've had three different types of rims on GGs now: standard DID, shoulderless DID, and the Excels. None of which I would say was a problem keeping tight. There are also different spokes, some of the older wheels with shoulderless rims used heavier spokes. These needed a bit more care as there is less stretch to the heavier spoke when it is tightened. The shoulderless wheel set I have now that I will use on my '12 for trail/rock riding was from a part out that spent time on an MX track and they are fine, just minor truing needed.

The key dimmension for wheel compatibility is the rotor/sprocket mounting width of the hub. Offsets can be handled by custom spacers, and even axel diameters in some cases can be handled with different bearings, seals, sleeves, and spacers.

Damn Brent, I wish I was younger and fast enough to beat the issues out of my stuff!