Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Info was all here, somwhat fresh in my mind so easy to find. Now grab a calper and head down to the local Yamaha dealer and measure some forks.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 AM

Hi see this post http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10575

I am fitting 47mm Showas

Harry
Old 01-16-2012, 10:11 PM

are they r or x forks stock or already valved what year fork
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Brent,
I am so glad that you posted about the harsh rebound. I could never have imagined that the rebound would hurt worse than the bound! Granted, I had already bunged up my wrist in a stupid stunt, but I was recovering fine, until I road my 2011 with forks that I had just gotten back from Les (not his fault really). I put them at the specs he suggestioned, rode about 14 miles and was a cripple. I had been playing with the compression during that ride and just kept thinking, @#$damn this hurts! We got back to camp and I tried dialing in a lot of rebount, it was the only thing left, and it smoothed way out. I can deal with it now, and seem to be getting used to it (i also put the softest bumpers in the flexx bars) but still I can feel the forks spazzing out over quick stuff sometimes. I need to get it out to the forest now and see how it does in the roots.
I think that I have rebound 2-4 clicks out from fully closed.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Brent,
Here is a note that I had from Les. Of course this means new wheel, front brake...

Hi Rob,

I said the X or the R, either one will have to be re-worked for purpose. Those 2004's look like the ticket!

The R fork is a good way to go, but the X is just as effective. The R fork has more aluminum components inside ( SLIGHTLY lighter) and has more detailed valving circuits. I stress either will serve you well.

Things to look forward to with this conversion;
Steering stem to bearing fit, sometimes a different bearing will complete the fit, sometimes they just match up.
Get a Honda front wheel/axle/spacers etc. plus the caliper and mount. these rotors are about 20 mm smaller than the GG but prove to be perfectly effective.
There will be a few things to overcome along the way but nothing too involved.

$325 is a good price for those.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Rob,

In the meantime, slap some more HS shims in that rebound stack and it will calm right down. You can't fix that problem with the clickers.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM

I wonder if Les will send me some shims and let me do it. He just worked on them...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM

FYI. Base valve reshim, pistons properly drilled out, and blow off valve converted to a more conventional mid valve. The forks felt much better but still harsh and unpredictable at higher speeds. My gut told me it was a rebound issue the entire time but the suspension guys said no. I took my Race Tech WP's and did a little side by side test of the rebound effect. It was simple actually:

Riding the bike I would go full soft to full hard on rebound with very little affect. Off the bike with spring removed and the the outside of the fork unscrewed from the cap full hard to full soft also netted very little affect. I targeted the rebound and experimented until I was somewhat similar in affect to the WP. Even with the significant rebound stack I still have to run it close to full hard. Still need to add more shims.

I believe I am at the point I need to mod the other stacks to have better balance. I am pushing the boundaries of my knowledge now though.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM

"Riding the bike I would go full soft to full hard on rebound with very little affect."

That was mine when I got my forks back from Les the first time ( I don't know about stock, I knew the springs and such were way off from the factory for my weight, so they went straight to LTR as soon as Halls got the bike). I had zero rebound control, now I have some, but it is near full hard. I wish I knew more about fork theory.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

You are not alone. Fortunately ppl feel like the GG and feel it is worth the effort to buy. Unfortunately there are not enough suspension experts that have had worked on them with the 45' and most will not tell you what they are doing to make them work better.

A few of us were not getting the help we needed and said screw it, I'll do it myself. I was forced into it, I didn't want to do it. In many ways I am happy I did because now I know considerably more, which may not be saying much. I generally ride A and AA class, do ok in both for a old guy. So it is very critical I have a suspension that gives me confidence. Right now the forks are very good compared to stock, but they are not great. Great forks is what I want and frankly, demand.

The common theme on this fork seems to be rebound and mid valving issue's. I am not impressed with internal quality components but that is not something I change yet or I would have installed gold valves and been done with it. However, if you feel adventurous take the forks apart and start playing with the rebound stack. IMO- there should be a absolutely huge difference between full hard and full soft on a set of forks. Unfortunately these only have 10-12 click range so the margin is narrower. There still should be a noticeable difference. If I am wrong someone should correct me.