Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I assume the difference in the base valve between ec and fse is due to both models having the same spring ratios stock, and that the fse is 15 kg heavier. If ec is oversprung/undervalved or fse that is undersprung/overvalved i leave to the designers.

Since no suspesnsion experts have yet commented my last post, I have used info from threads here to put together a well guessed valving.

Base valve
22x10
22x10
11x10
19x15
removed crossover here as per glenn's suggestion
17x15
15x15
13x20

My rebound stack has grown significantly
21x10
20x10
19x10
17x10
17x10
15x10
15x10
12x10
This is based on pobit's stack, and I threw in a couple of extra high speed at the bottom for extra compensation of higer spring rates.

I have not made any test runs on this setup yet, but the high speed release from having the fork almost fully compressed is greatly reduced, I can hear a nice 'swoosh' from the rebound stack. It'll probably be a while before any real tests, but I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Talking

Yep. This is it. I've been out on a couple of hours of testing, some bad rocks have been negotiated

Now, with the stacks in the previous post, 130 mm of 7wt Maxima fork oil the fse now chews up everything I throw at it. It's amazing. Clickers on compression is fully out, perhaps should I add an 11x10 bleed shim on top, or drill a 1mm bleed hole in the valve port?

Rebound is at 11 out and it feels nice, however i have not tested it in rutted turns yet, we'll see where that goes.

A significant reduce in the harsh front feel, especially braking over bumps was increasing rear rebound to only 8 clicks out. It now just flooows over all the piles of rocks i have ridden over, point'n go, and soaks up landings from big(for me at least) jumps.

Still to be tested is accelerating uphill over choppy loose rocks, and going really fast over chop.

I'm happy !
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Bergerhag:

I'm interested to see what you finally ended up with..

I have an 05 and have had a very hard time trying to get my valving correct..

I'm about 215 lbs and would think your valving would be pretty close to my needs..
Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 AM

I dont have the exact specs at hand now, but the stack is very much like the '06 EC valving, and the main difference to '05 FSE is more free bleed at the valv face. I added two 0.1x11 between the valve face and the first large 22mm shim, and also added a few at the other end of the stack. I am planning to remove some of those 'other end' shims, since moving onto 0.48 springs makes the ride a little harsh when going in medium speeds. It never falls through in hig speed though, so I might jsut leave it too.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Turn the high speed back in.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Interesting thread, Its good to have information from start to finish it sounds like you getting sorted now.
I have just fitted a set of 45 shivers to my 98 ec250 so i am interested in what is said. Most goes straight over my head.
Keep the info coming!!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Its been nine months now since i replaced my conventional magnum 50s for 45 shivers. I have done loads of practice and competed in a few enduros.

I must say they transformed my bike i am so happy.

They must be due a service now does any one recommend a revalve while they are off?

Also does anyone have the stock valving and pictures?

I got confused with the first post in this thread as to which shims were for what valve? I wouldnt mind comparing the stock with mine.
FMF Gnarly