Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

isn't that typical of GG to have different cartridges!

I see you also have some nylon preload washers in there as well.

I also trashed one of my clicker screws, got twowheels to sort it out when he did the revalve. I am sure he will tell you how he did it.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Not sure how you are holding your cartridges, but from what i have seen guys cut the correct diameter into two pieces of wood and use that to hold the cart in the vise.

keep the pics rolling i have wanted to do this for a while bt as soon as i have my forks off i can't wait to get them back on and go riding!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
I tried for a long while to undo the cartridge, HOLY CRAP these are tight.

Next problem is the best way to undo the bottom of the cartridge when it is locked. How is this done? I'm tempted to stick a bit of 6mm rod through the oil holes in the bottom of the damper tube and use that to undo the tube from the spring land? Is this safe to do?
Temptation isn't a sin until you act on it - STOP BEFORE YOU TWIST THE CARTRIDGE TUBE LIKE A BARBER POLE.

The proper fitting tool (your cartridge cap being different than any I have seen), lots and lots and lots of heat without melting the seal inside, and a sharp impact are what's needed to get the cap off.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Temptation isn't a sin until you act on it - STOP BEFORE YOU TWIST THE CARTRIDGE TUBE LIKE A BARBER POLE.

The proper fitting tool (your cartridge cap being different than any I have seen), lots and lots and lots of heat without melting the seal inside, and a sharp impact are what's needed to get the cap off.
Yeah I know. But thanks for the intervention confirming what the back of my head already knew.

So what's the best way to hold the cartridge? Is it like Matt said, hold the cartridge tube in a vice using correct sized jig and then use the tool/heat/impact to get the cap off?

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
Yeah I know. But thanks for the intervention confirming what the back of my head already knew.

So what's the best way to hold the cartridge? Is it like Matt said, hold the cartridge tube in a vice using correct sized jig and then use the tool/heat/impact to get the cap off?
That Matt's a smart fella - what he said.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Another question, how tight is the base valve stack nut done up? I'm guessing not very but even with my torque wrench set to 2nm it was tightening it more then it already was prior to removal. It's a cheapie torque wrench though.

Is finger tight a specified torque? Lol

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

That brass clicker has scared you now. Hahah! I have no idea on torque specs for the shim stack retainer bolt, but I would be taking a guess that a bit of red locktite, and a bit more than finger tight would be in order. More like firm Haha! You don't want it coming undone and floating around your internals.

Also if you've using a bit torque wrench it probably won't be accurate. Most are only really accurate in the middle of their specified ranges so coming out to the ends introduces variance. I have a 1/2" drive kincrome for the big jobs which I rarely use, and a small GearWrench 1/4" drive which was purchased for doing 4T top end valve gear. Its ace for the smaller bolts everywhere! Was a pricey lil wrench though! (http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/to...ock&part=85050) I'm sure I paid more than I wanted to when I bought it years back. See them around $100-$140 now which isn't much more than I paid for the kincrome. Tools tools tools!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 AM

Well the clicker wasn't as bad as I thought. All I had to do was run an 8mm x 1mm die over it which cleaned it up nicely. I also had to run the 8mm tap through the cartridge rod to clean the female thread up a bit as it had squared off the beginning of the thread.

I did stuff the first two threads on the clicker screw but there is still 5 threads left and there's no load on it. Still winds all the way in and out when the fork cap is on the rod too. Very lucky!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359448836.018715.jpg

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 AM

Default Success (sort of)

Clamped the cartridge in a "proper" tool

Then after removing the spring guide used this tool that Terry Hay custom made for me today (can't speak highly enough of the service at Shock Treatment) to crack the cartridge. Good tip from Terry, lay the cartridge on a hard flat surface and with a hammer rap the cartridge where the cap threads into it, it helps break the loctite. He made it look easy, didn't even use heat. I'm back at home with the remaining cartridge and even with heat still can't crack it without it twisting in the cartridge holder.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 AM

Removed the rod from the cartridge. Pulled the shim stack.

Rebound Shim stack is:

Piston
23 x .1 (2)
20 x .1
18 x .1
16 x .1
12 x .15
10 x .3
13 x 2.15 washer (2)

Mid-valve shim stack is:

Piston,
25 x .2 check plates (2)
and has a 1.1mm float.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC

Last edited by n_green; 02-02-2013 at 06:10 AM.