Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Thanks Ron push em towards KYB !
I used the same approach with GG as with Red HSQ. You want more American buyers? Then you must Americanize the motorcycle with components we know and understand. Simply having KYB on the HSQ suddenly gave the bikes credibility in the states. Would work the same for GG but there I go again.... thinking logically.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:09 PM

I see lots of calls for the KYB SSS, and from all reports it is a very good fork. I'm thinking that it is somehow proprietary to Yamaha? Otherwise, I don't see why the smaller Euro brands (Beta, GG, Sherco) wouldn't use them. Were the KYB forks on the Italian Huskies the SSS variant? What about the KYB on the TMs? Anybody know? If the SSS is not proprietary to Yamaha, why not spec them? Could it be the cost?

Beta has gone with Sachs front and rear, and the new Sachs CC fork on the race edition. Shercos in NA come with WP OC forks and WP shock, and after a re-spring I'm pretty happy with them.

Should be interesting to see what GG specs for 2017. If Rod says it's not Sachs, maybe it'll be WP ... ha ... that speculation should stir the nest ...
Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM

For years Gasgas used Yamaha 4stroke engines so they did have a working relationship . Who knows ? I hope they Torot has a better understanding or at least will come over and learn what we buy and like .Time will tell .
Old 12-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
I see lots of calls for the KYB SSS, and from all reports it is a very good fork. I'm thinking that it is somehow proprietary to Yamaha? Otherwise, I don't see why the smaller Euro brands (Beta, GG, Sherco) wouldn't use them. Were the KYB forks on the Italian Huskies the SSS variant? What about the KYB on the TMs? Anybody know? If the SSS is not proprietary to Yamaha, why not spec them? Could it be the cost?

Beta has gone with Sachs front and rear, and the new Sachs CC fork on the race edition. Shercos in NA come with WP OC forks and WP shock, and after a re-spring I'm pretty happy with them.

Should be interesting to see what GG specs for 2017. If Rod says it's not Sachs, maybe it'll be WP ... ha ... that speculation should stir the nest ...
Some of the italian husky models come with the SSS before the end of their run.

The KYB SSS is nothing special - 47mm showa is *very* similar - if you put the same valving in both - the physics of the situation would mean they would behave *very* similar as well...

SSS = speed sensitive system. All forks are speed sensitive - even those with a damper rod!

I like the sachs rear shock in steel (beta comes with aluminum body but it is available in either) over something japanese - I like steel over aluminum (for body) and I prefer a piston over a bladder. Something that is on the trail for 8 hours should be steel so it doesn't fade and better service interval (doesn't turn black with aluminum fouling).

And don't stir the pot too much - Rod and Mark are still on their holiday vacation - I will keep things turned down a notch until after the first to give them a break. (This is a moderated forum and I am moderating... )

Jeff
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 PM

I agree that we all need time to ourselves and to see were this new company goes . It is up to them (torot) as to what they will do . I just have to much time on my hands . Next week I am back to work at least part time .At the gym every morning ,and focused on my building back my body . I am still 30 pounds pre surgery weight lighter than I should be .So I will have a lot less time to ponder my next ride to be . But lord willing at least 12 events l will be competing in so a new bike every year the rest of my racing life is not out of the question . Or 2 if Barbara lets me
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Default Is Marzocchi going to be bought up ?

Everybody is moving to air forks. I hope they go this route. I know there are problems but its only a matter of time.

Dirtdud, I know what you mean by time on your hands. I'm on vacation with no big projects. Just some painting etc.

All my bikes/atv's are in good running order.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 12-29-2015, 12:07 AM
Administrator

I would say no to air forks.

Did that in the 70s and don't need to do it again. There was a reason they "came and went".

Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it. (Or something like that....)

Jeff
Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 AM

I am running air forks on a Honda right now and I really like them. I think people are scared of them because they don't understand them and over complicate it in their head. I have the first gen PSF forks and inside it is just a cartridge style fork minus a spring. It's really quite simple and with a revalve they work better than my cc zokes ever dreamed of! Key is to run seal savers because the seals are a little more finicky when it comes to dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM

I think air forks are here to stay. Too much weight savings.

Too many people don't maintain their stuff, I don't care of its bikes or boats. Air forks require more attention. Make sure the seals are in good shape. The biggest problem is the constant fast cycling generates heat then there is fade and failure if your seals aren't in good shape. Just don't run to failure. When springs fade they still hold you up. When you lose an air chamber they collapse. It will get figured out.

People just want to load and go. Keep springs on the trail bikes, not on upper end race bikes.

I change my own fluid, bushings and seals. Custom valving they go to a shop. I have my shock's serviced once a year. So many people ignore this.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 12-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

pretty sure yamaha bought kyb some years ago.wether one fork is better/worse is only opinion/heresay.
the key is that yamaha/kyb are very good at setting their bikes up so out of the box they get a good rap.
seems to me that others get good results out of zokes/sachs etc after some fettling.
in other words yamaha/kyb make a crucial first impression,then word of mouth spreads,generating good feedback,before you know it we all believe.
this doesnt nec mean its better,just better set up for a majority of riders from new
my gut tells me to avoid airforks until they have a proven track record.air is harder to contain under pressure than oil,and generates a lot of heat.air preload was used on suzuki pe models circa 1980 and needed close monitoring to keep the desired press and the press the same between forks