Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-29-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
pretty sure yamaha bought kyb some years ago.wether one fork is better/worse is only opinion/heresay.
the key is that yamaha/kyb are very good at setting their bikes up so out of the box they get a good rap.
seems to me that others get good results out of zokes/sachs etc after some fettling.
in other words yamaha/kyb make a crucial first impression,then word of mouth spreads,generating good feedback,before you know it we all believe.
this doesnt nec mean its better,just better set up for a majority of riders from new
my gut tells me to avoid airforks until they have a proven track record.air is harder to contain under pressure than oil,and generates a lot of heat.air preload was used on suzuki pe models circa 1980 and needed close monitoring to keep the desired press and the press the same between forks

Yamaha does not own KYB. They may have some interest in the company but they do not own them. Remember KYB is a huge corporation that makes shocks for most auto manufacturers. Also if Yamaha owned them I'm sure we wouldn't see their forks on Hondas.

The deal with the air pressure rising during a ride is a phenomenon that 99.9% of us will never experience because we simply don't ride hard enough. I have never had the air pressure increase in my forks during a ride, not during a 3 hour GNCC and not during a 75 mile National Enduro. I purposely checked them as soon as the race was over and they hadn't moved!

People are scared of them because us silly humans don't like change! I don't see any real advantage to them but I also don't see any disadvantage. I was Leary at first and even looked into a swap but not that I have run them for a while, no worries.

Back on topic. How awesome would it be to see KYB or even Showa on the new gassers!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

One advantage to air forks is the weight - not having those springs is a significant savings.

Seems like those in the know almost universally say the Yamaha traditional fork is a good deal better overall than any air fork being run right now.
'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Yamaha does not own KYB. They may have some interest in the company but they do not own them. Remember KYB is a huge corporation that makes shocks for most auto manufacturers. Also if Yamaha owned them I'm sure we wouldn't see their forks on Hondas.
Well actually....This from 2013.

http://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/...t-venture.html
Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
One advantage to air forks is the weight - not having those springs is a significant savings.

Seems like those in the know almost universally say the Yamaha traditional fork is a good deal better overall than any air fork being run right now.
According to the handy dandy Wal Mart scales I now have to use to weigh my food, a stock Zoke spring weighs just a hair under a pound.

I can think of other places the bike can shed a few pounds and at far less expense. Good place to start is with the rider
Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM

Thanks Rod for clearing that up.so when other manuf use kyb,they're also supporting Yamaha.Honda must love that
Old 12-30-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
Thanks Rod for clearing that up.so when other manuf use kyb,they're also supporting Yamaha.Honda must love that
No different than Sherco using WP suspension and other components produced by the factories owned by SP...and used on his other 2 brands.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Why am I suddenly remembering everyone raving about the 20 inch front wheel from a few years ago?....
Old 12-30-2015, 01:11 PM

I thought weight obsession was a females domain?
Us blokes should be concerned more with how th weight is distributed and if the curves are in the right places!I'm hoping Yamaha suspenders,and Suzuki needles!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Pretty sure the new WP front forks save 3-4 lbs. I cant remember exactly.

Save weight everywhere and oz's = lb's. I learned this with my lightweight backpacking. Every little bit counts. I don't think I'd notice much difference in 10 lbs but i would notice 30

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 12-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Pretty sure the new WP front forks save 3-4 lbs. I cant remember exactly.

Save weight everywhere and oz's = lb's. I learned this with my lightweight backpacking. Every little bit counts. I don't think I'd notice much difference in 10 lbs but i would notice 30
Ever play a pin ball machine?