Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemplin View Post
Robby45, who'd you use for your suspension work?
Phillip Graham at SoPro Suspension.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Enduro Engineering Suspension did the fork and shock on my 250 and it works great.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Mine had to be re-anodized, and I'm real anal about the clamps and alignment. Love the action with proper setup but not impressed with the durability. I hope the 48s are better in this respect.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Brent. You and I should'nt be so negative! on the possitive side ,lack of quality components make those forks weigh much less than the competitions.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM

LMAO. Well, they are .5 lbs lighter than my WP's. My 11 GG 300 EC weighs 256's with 1 gallon of gas in it and Shoria battery. So 255 is a safe bet. I wonder if they put lead panels inside the frame?

OK, I will stop being negative. My only two complaints about this bike have been the forks and the e start. It works 25% of the time. Coming from KTM recently, I did have Honda's, Kawasaki's, and Yamaha's too, this bike is hard to work on. KTM's are so freaking easy. Oh well, the handling, motor, and tranny, are sweet. There, I mentioned some positive! Yay.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
LMAO. Yes, yes indeed. They are low low low quality compared to what is stock on most bikes today. I am not brand loyal to KTM but the quality of a WP is far superior to this crap. Pathetic valving specs, specs that are not used by any other fork manfacturer, and of course the fact several have come with QC issue's that should have been addressed at the factory.

OK, dead horse is beat to death again. I have 700ish miles and the fake coating is still intact on the forks for now. I pray it stays on.

I do think once I get the rebound dampening issue solved the forks are going to be good.
The more I read about these forks the more I understand why the people I talked to pushed me towards a Sachs-equipped model. They didn't say low quality but used the term "basic". I'm sure the Sachs units have issues as well, but you guys are making me feel better about the decision.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
The more I read about these forks the more I understand why the people I talked to pushed me towards a Sachs-equipped model. They didn't say low quality but used the term "basic". I'm sure the Sachs units have issues as well, but you guys are making me feel better about the decision.
I wish I could have swung a leg over a couple differently equipped bikes. Honestly a stock suspension usually doesn't work well for me anyway so a revalve is expected, however this set up is overly surprising. It is a basic open chamber fork with base quality components. It can be worked over and will likely be fine.

I tell people, who ask, to buy the GG and see how the forks work for them. I explain that they may need springs and a revalve but it should NOT be something that prevents them from giving this bike a shot. All BS aside I am glad I did it and have some experience now with GG. It opened me up to bikes outside the KTM regime. If you have a suspension guy with experience in Marzocchi forks you will be fine. They are super simple to work on and should not be expensive to re-shim etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
Hi quality? I wouldnt call a modern fork that does'nt use Kashima coating on the internals high quality, maybee high quality in a 1975 Fiat kind of way.These forks are no differant than 1989 honda cr usd's You should have seen the handiwork by Guido and Co on the piston stud, must of had a full bottle of grappa on his two hour lunch break, inexcusable excuse for alleged workmanship! Can you tell how impressed I am?
Gee, that's too bad. I would still call them high quality pieces. The valving has nothing to do with quality of craftsmenship. The hard coating on my fork sliders is still in good shape. My forks have been to LTR after they had about 2000 miles on them, and no internal parts were worn or in need of replacement other than shims for a revalve request. My bike is easily upwards of 3000 miles now, and the forks do not show signs of looseness, leaking, or flaking of coatings. While I did not inspect the internals when the forks were disassembled, I'd say they are good. After Les' rebuild of them, I'd say they outperform the Ohlins I had on my previous Gas Gas, and that fork was pretty good. I also am an A enduro rider, and ride in sloppy conditions, so it's not like the forks live the life of a garage/parking lot queen. Of course, KTM and Gas Gas riders do tend to know how to ride, and ride a lot. I digress, but just an observation.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM

Well, I certainly didn't expect to stir up so many people with my original post.

I'm new to Gas Gas bikes but have raced off road for more than 40 years. Although now older (64) and admittedly slower than I used to be I still retain the ability to evaluate suspension performance accurately. These are not state of the art forks, but.... they should be able to be reworked by a knowledgeable suspension guy to work better.

Thanks to all the people who pointed out what the internals consist of. I didn't have a clue what was in there. All I did was pop off the cap, put in heavier springs and button it back up. Sounds like basic valving stacks etc.

I'm going to have Matt Stavish at Checkpoint Offroad in Scandia, Minnesota work on my forks. I've known Matt for several years from the races we both went to. You may remember Matt as a former factory Gas Gas rider and ISDE guy. He told me he had experience reworking zoke forks and could make them better.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM

There are thousands of these forks in service on GGs, Huskys, and others. They work awesome in the woods when set up right. I think Brent, being a fast desert guy, is a little out of the box as far as the bikes scope with regard to OEM setup. I completely understand this as its not setup as a desert bike, and no doubt a stiffer CC fork (perhaps the new 48s?) would be much closer. However, for the average to even fast woods rider these are very ridable stock and eaisly tuned.
Closed Thread