Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 AM

Have you cleaned the expansion chamber out ? It could have a thick layer of carbon build up in it, it is an 04 lol.
Running wfo down the road without the mufler installed would get the pipe hot enough to blow the carbon out.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM

And wake up the neighbors! Any chance of some video with sound of that?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Or gut the oven, toss it in there wide open for 3-4 hours, pull it out, cool off, throw a handfull of bb's and small nuts in there, tape up the ends, then cycle through the kiddies, you can get alot of results if you challenge them to see who can make enough noise to get mum to come out of the house, she won't however, but they don't know that, mum is of course, in the back room steaming badly cause you put an exhaust pipe in the oven.........not that I've ever known anyone that would do that, especially after baking things, like say, BB chevy valve covers with some gorgeous yellow paint in the oven just a few weeks prior............ ;-P
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM

I've never actually removed the silencer and rode down the road lol, i posted that in reference to what socalscott posted about someone doing it and it fixing their bike.
When I got my bike it would smoke like crazy after running it wide open down a road, the pipe had a oilly carbon build up in it from being lugged around for years by the po, after doing this a few times it cleaned itself out and stopped.
I live alone and I wouldnt put a 2 stroke pipe in my oven in the house, its gonna stink and smoke badly lol. Use the bbq/fire pit/burn barrel or a torch in a well vented area.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Any improvements Brendan?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM

No, unfortunately not. I went out to a 182 main jet and its too rich. Was running cooler though, but by chr!st does it drink the fuel now (rode on the weekend just gone and only got 57kms off the tank versus 80kms when I rode it in Feb with the 172 main).

Will drop down to a 178 or 180 but I will tell you now that jetting is not the issue...I have enough experience working on 2 strokes to know that its something else.

I havent looked at the PV with motor running but know that it works fine by hand. I read a thread on this forum from a guy with a gutless 200 who had a plethora of probs from the factory that were causing the power loss. I am inclined to believe its something similiar with my bike.

Next steps will be - ensure PV is actuating when motor is running, confirm static timing is correct, confirm CDI is OK, do leakdown test on motor.

If all of these things come up fine I have literally replaced or ruled out every single part on the motor.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Make sure you don't have a cracked intake boot. The rubber would be pretty dried out by now.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post on the previous page re the floats could be onto something. Vent lines to the carb and tank not blocked? I'm just rattling off random things here really. I like your plan as per below. Definitely take the time to check the PV works as it should with the engine running. I'm not sure how you checked with the engine off. Pulling up on the actuator arm can dislodge a ball and cause issues. Best to disconnect the arm and run the pv through its range of motion to ensure its fluid and not binding.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM

I should add too that on the weekend it was back to its old trick of not idling. The idle screw is now wound all the way in, and it still wont idle. was a pain in the ar$e to ride it like this. Plus its hard to start when hot now...3 or 4 kicks. I assume this stuff is related to it being too rich.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 AM

I wonder if theres a huge amount of carbon build up in the pipe?
Like so much that its changed the shape of the pipe, and some parts keep getting broken off causing changes in behaviour, you said it was idling ok, and now it doesn't. Like Jakobi said a few pages back, winding idle all the way in is a rich condition, and under no circumstances should you have to wind it that far in.

Anyway, with the carbon, you can get an oxy acetylene torch and light the inside of the pipe on fire, and then just run oxygen into the pipe, just leave the oxygen on with the gun pointing into the pipe, you can watch a hot ring burn through the entire length of the pipe as the crap inside burns out. Or cut it open and visually check what its like, along with checking for a catalytic converter.