Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
If GasGas were to fail in the US, it would hurt TM as well. Anyone who got burned would be shy of exotics and head for safe ground. The winners would be the big 4 and KTM. Husky also, they are looking good lately. So, I think the small guys need to pull for each other.

Oh, TM motors were used in GasGas chassis until '97.
Good Point. In general that is probably true. Personally I would take the risk of another exotic, if nothing else just to be different and yes the small guys should pull for each other.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM

If your a true enthusiast and just want to have an exotic, you will regardless. Its the guy who is considering support, parts, and the ability to race it every week compared to the other brands that sales will be lost to.

There will always be a niche market. Question is, is a niche market in the US worth it for those involved?? We hope so.

I knew this thread would take off like a fire.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Dixie Sales and the "Inconvenient Truth"

Don't anybody panic. The GasGas name will continue in North America.

Dixie's decision to get out of dirt bikes is no surprise when you consider that they are partly owned by a "green company," Freeplay Energy.

Freeplay is a publically traded company that makes money selling "green" products, wind up flash lights and radios. I suspect they purchased part of Dixie to get at their distribution center in North America.

http://www.freeplayenergy.com/Articl...leases/67.html

"On 18 May 2006, it was announced that Freeplay had agreed, subject inter alia to shareholder approval to acquire the entire issued share capital of Barrett Marketing Group Inc. (“BMGI”) and its wholly owned subsidiary Dixie Sales Company Inc. (“Dixie”)."

When I learned that Dixie was partially owned by Freeplay I suspected that eventually Dixie Sales would not continue to distribute dirtbikes in North America, especially when Freeplay's mission statement uses phrases like "carbon footprint" etc.

I suspect that once the North American import rights to Husaberg were wrestled away from Dixie by KTM it became an appropriate time for them to walk away from GasGas as well so they could spin their decision to reduce their "carbon footprint."

I'm certain an announcement is forthcoming on GasGas's future North American distributer so hang in there.

As far as Freeplay goes, good ridence!! The only "green" their interested in is the color of money - not the color of GasGas.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Last edited by Berkyboy; 08-02-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
If your a true enthusiast and just want to have an exotic, you will regardless. Its the guy who is considering support, parts, and the ability to race it every week compared to the other brands that sales will be lost to.

There will always be a niche market. Question is, is a niche market in the US worth it for those involved?? We hope so.

I knew this thread would take off like a fire.
I don't know if I'm a true enthusiast or not its just that I came from Honda. I also am just an advanced trail rider, I don't race so I don't really need that many parts etc. If I did I could def. understand the need for support etc. I'm going to pick up my second GG this next Saturday and I can't wait. I already have an older 250 and now I'm moving to the 300...yipppeee
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Site Sponsor

Now would be a good time to thank the people at Dixie Sales that most of us dealers worked with on a day to day basis.

Bob, Roy and Josee have all been great to work with and we at GoFasters will surley miss their promptness and professionalism.

Hopefully the decision "to go green," made by Freeplay, will not cost anybody a job.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 AM

As a last resort for any American guys, the CDN Distributorship of GG motorcycles hasnt changed. The CDN importer is a good guy. He seems to be stocking lots of parts and bikes.

If things go bad in the US, Dave @ GG Pacific will be able to help I am sure.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Just to reiterate what Scott said, GasGas Pacific is great to deal with if things aren't going well down south.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Jeez, first Hyde products then Leatt Brace and now Freeplay. Good thing they're not many South Africans left to emmigrate.

If you don't understand: Freeplay was originally a South African company.

From Wikipedia:

The Clockwork Radio

"While watching the BBC documentary Tomorrow's World in April 1994, corporate accountant Christopher Staines first realized the potential of an innovative idea from British inventor, Trevor Baylis. The Clockwork Radio, as the device was first known, was proposed as a means of providing better communication and education in undeveloped areas of Africa, which could lead to an effective measure in stopping the rampant spread of AIDS. Traditional radio, although widespread, relied on an electrical supply or the availability of disposable batteries - both of which were in short supply across the continent. Staines and his business partner, South African Rory Stear, immediately realized that the potential for self-sufficient electronics could go much further than radio and Africa.[2] In 1995, they started BayGen Power Industries in Cape Town, South Africa, which would be renamed in 1999.[3] Starting with a grant from the British Government to develop the Clockwork Radio idea, subsequent investors have included Liberty Life[4], Gordon and Anita Roddick (of The Body Shop International PLC),[5] The General Electric Pension Trust,[6] South African Capital Growth Fund, and Worldspace Inc.[7]"

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM

Any news on a new US Dist? BMG is done as of Aug 31.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM

I thought it was Sept 1st 2007. that is when KTM is taking over distribution of the Husaberg also