Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Is it worth putting grease nipples on linkage?

Hi, my 250ec rear suspension linkage and swinging arm bearings require replacing now, so i have been thinking about fitting grease nipples on the bearings do you think its a good idea or im I just wasting my time?

I ride the bike quite a lot and always wash it after every ride which is not good on the bearings. I like the idea of pumping new grease after a few rides. I would rather spend the time riding the bike than stripping linkage down every month

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Synergy Seals (member here) is making bushings that replace the bearings on the Gasser linkage. Not sure if he makes zerk fitted bolts for Gasser. He does for the KTM PDS heim bushings, and the combo enjoys a great reputation. I have one on my KTM 300.

EDIT: here is a link- http://www.synergyseals.com/ His website states that he sells the bushings for the GG linkage, but his "store" doesn't have a link to purchase the kit. Looks like you'll have to call or e-mail him.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 AM

thanks I will send him a pm
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I had grease zerks on my RMX.

They gave a "false sense of security".
I would grease them often, then found out the grease in there was hard as a rock. Ended up having to replace them all.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Don't do this. The GG system, with OEM bearings PROPERLY greased, and sealed with the orings is the best in the business. The bearings are cageless needle bearings, and so are more difficult to pack completely. They are not correctly packed from the factory. Solvent cleaned, dried, and repacked with proper grease the system will stay clean and tight all year as long as you keep the pressure washer away. Even then its more resiliant but I choose not to use a PW on my bikes. My bikes see mud every ride and a bath after, never a problem. I used to tear the linkage down a few times a season and never found any water intrusion, so I started extending service intervals and now just do it every winter. If your results are less you are doing something wrong.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Don't do this. The GG system, with OEM bearings PROPERLY greased, and sealed with the orings is the best in the business. The bearings are cageless needle bearings, and so are more difficult to pack completely. They are not correctly packed from the factory. Solvent cleaned, dried, and repacked with proper grease the system will stay clean and tight all year as long as you keep the pressure washer away. Even then its more resiliant but I choose not to use a PW on my bikes. My bikes see mud every ride and a bath after, never a problem. I used to tear the linkage down a few times a season and never found any water intrusion, so I started extending service intervals and now just do it every winter. If your results are less you are doing something wrong.
What Glenn said. The o-ring seals very very well. I ride creek crossings and mud almost every single ride. I had one pair of bearings have some water ingress but that was from not doing maintenance soon enough. I also don't use a pressure washer.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

After owning a Husky which came factory with Zerk fittings, I began installing them on everything, including steering head. It seems like a good idea, but the bearings do not last any longer in my experience. The steering head idea just pumped a pound of grease into the cavity and did no good. That was nothing short of not thinking on my part (was many moons ago). The one area where I thought it really helped was the swingarm pivot.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM

I use a pressure washer religiously on my bikes and still never have an issue with the linkage. Grease every fall and maybe in the middle of the season. My last GG needed 1 bushing and bearing for the lower shock mount on the link after 5 years of hard use and pressure washing.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
I use a pressure washer religiously on my bikes and still never have an issue with the linkage. Grease every fall and maybe in the middle of the season. My last GG needed 1 bushing and bearing for the lower shock mount on the link after 5 years of hard use and pressure washing.
Ditto. The Gas Gas o-ring system works well. My '08 never needed a replacement linkage bearing.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM

I replaced the 7mm wide seals on the '12 with two of the same 3.5mm orings. Much tighter and fits perfect.