Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Default XIU Cylinder Head Review

I recently purchased the XIU aftermarket cylinder head for my Gas Gas EC250 from Spain http://www.xiurdi.com/portfolio-item...250cc-y-300cc/. Communication was prompt and friendly, the price was reasonable at around $130 USD shipped and the item arrived in less than ten days.

Squish measurement on the stock head was 1.6mm, with the XIU head the measurement was 1.2mm, so this was positive.

Installation should have been straight forward, but it was actually a pain in the ass. The earlier Gas Gas models have a head stay that bolts to the frame via brackets. There is no provision for this on the XIU head. Fair enough, just had to make a spacer to hold the radiator guards together. On to the next issue, the cylinder head, being much thinner than the stock item, requires the installer to find proper length bolts in order to avoid bottoming the stock ones out in the cylinder, throwing off torque values. This would be easy to miss, as the stock bolts appear to work properly. There was no mention of this from XIU, in fact there were no installation instructions at all. Still, not a huge issue once sorted.

Upon attempting to install the radiator hoses in the XIU head, one realizes that the spigots are remarkably smaller than the stock Gas Gas items. This means the stock rad hoses will not work with the XIU head. Again, there was no mention of this prior or after purchase from XIU. They leave the installer to figure this out as well. After some creative hose solutions, the head was installed. Bolts sequentially torqued to Gas Gas specs and re-torqued after a heat cycle.

As with any 2-stroke getting closer to the optimal squish measurement, a correlating increase in performance was noted. Not exceptional, but noticeable. A good sign. I was happy at this point, despite the installation issues.

Fast forward, after ten hours of use I am not happy at all. Two small coolant leaks were observed on the left side of the head. Upon inspection it was discovered that the cylinder cover casting was cracked in two separate locations, resulting in the leaks. Fortunately this was found before complete failure. An email has been sent to the company with pictures, I await a response and will update as information becomes available.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Darn it, that really sucks big time!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 PM

I'm probably missing something here but if you feel the stock head is off why not have it recut... it used to cost me $75
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroNut View Post
I'm probably missing something here but if you feel the stock head is off why not have it recut... it used to cost me $75
RB quit doing GG heads here in the US, but Motopsycho should be able to hook a European brother up.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 11-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroNut View Post
I know the stock head is off, but RB stopped doing the heads and I needed a spare anyways. RB's turn around time used to be phenomenal, the other tuners that do this type of work, not so much. I can't have my bike down for weeks waiting, with a race every two weeks. This seemed like a good option.

I received an email from XIU, they are going to "check internally how to answer your problem properly". Sounds like the run around. I hate to do it, but if they do not offer a replacement cover, I will have to file with PayPal.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk74 View Post

I received an email from XIU, they are going to "check internally how to answer your problem properly". Sounds like the run around. I hate to do it, but if they do not offer a replacement cover, I will have to file with PayPal.
might be a way of saying nothing, but may also be a way to tell you that they have started working on an answer. I would give them a day or two.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 11-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
might be a way of saying nothing, but may also be a way to tell you that they have started working on an answer. I would give them a day or two.
Agreed.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have been thinking about this head myself, as Xiu-Rdi are the only ones that I have found selling a head with separate inserts for the 200. I have cut the OEM head with good results on my lathe, but fancy parts are always of interest :-)
And after all, these spanish guys have been participating in the design of both Ossa and Gasgas, so I think they know what they are doing, engineering wise. Lets hope this cracked head is a unique issue, and not a sign of their normal quality.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the head cracked from over torquing of the head bolts.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Looks like the head cracked from over torquing of the head bolts.
I was waiting for this. I can tell you unequivocally that was not what happened here. Head was torqued in 4 steps in the proper pattern with a quality click type torque wrench to Gas Gas spec of 18 ft lbs and then checked after a heat cycle. I've dealt with plenty of 2 stroke cylinder heads over 20 years of road racing and never cracked one due to over-torquing.