Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 PM

Default Rebuilding An Aging GasGas, Worth It???

In my case a well used 2013 300. Since buying it used I have racked up a lot of hours and raced in my first hare scramble. At this point I would rather rebuild this bike than buy new, especially for the low price I paid for the bike. It is a bit rough, and the frame, swingarm and wheels have plenty of scratches, gouges and missing paint.

My concern is finding some of the parts. Wheels seem to be hard to come by and mine are bent and well worn. I also have no idea which engine and trans parts may be hard to source beyond the top end kits I can find. What about springs and parts for the Marzochi forks? The only real change I would like to make is stiffer springs front and rear. I understand 2013 was a rocky time and many changes were made right before and after my model year...

Do you think it is worth the headaches to go for a rebuild? I am not too worried about getting things like the frame powder coated, plastics, cylinder replated, or the Ohlins rear shock rebuilt, but some of the important items seem to be tough to source. If I pull the engine out to have the frame powdercoated, and swingarm fixed/replaced I would like to be able to replace all the little bushings, bearings and seals while I am at it. If the bottom end needs a rebuild I would like to be able to find those parts as well. Is it still possible with all the changes in available parts for the older bikes?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:18 PM

It depends on how much you are going to ride it. You might just need to clean and regrease a lot of your suspension and swing arm bearings and just add new seals.A lot of the GasGas parts are very durable, the cylinders are very tough and wossner make a forged piston kit. An exception is usually the steering head bearings are just toast. Parts are available now in North America but they are very overpriced. I am still riding my 2011 300 without any problems and the bottom end and crank have never been apart.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
It depends on how much you are going to ride it. You might just need to clean and regrease a lot of your suspension and swing arm bearings and just add new seals.A lot of the GasGas parts are very durable, the cylinders are very tough and wossner make a forged piston kit. An exception is usually the steering head bearings are just toast. Parts are available now in North America but they are very overpriced. I am still riding my 2011 300 without any problems and the bottom end and crank have never been apart.
Funny you say that. Looking at moving to the deep south very soon, and with the exception of cross country and enduro races, it may be a bit much for the motocross tracks and flat quad trails near where I am moving. I have no reason to believe that it needs anything more than a fresh top end, suspension rebuild/re-spring, wheels, rubber parts, plastics, and some new bearings... but to do all that and re-pack the exhaust, I may as well tear it all the way apart and make it look as pretty as it runs again...

Wheels are discouraging me, 2 months ago I found new Warp 9s complete in red/black for a good price at Rocky Mountain ATV, and now they list nothing for my bike. Anything on Marzochi forks seems to be hard to find as well...
Old 03-05-2019, 01:51 AM

Price out buying a new bike. Now, price out buying a used bike and the possible unknown issues and things that will have to be serviced at some point. Lastly, consider costs to rebuild your current bike, a bike that you already have an idea on what it needs.

Personally, I've always found it a better deal to rebuild what I have. Unless I just want a change, I always choose to rebuild.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 AM

If you can do the work yourself and have the time, you might come out ahead (well, as ahead as you can come out throwing money at toys!!). I just completely rebuilt this 2011 300. Purchased for $1,600 burning transmission oil. Now it has a KYB swap valved/sprung for my weight/skill, 270mm front brake rotor, new brake lines, House of Horsepower Pipe, Lectron carb, S3 head, newly plated cylinder, new piston, rebuilt crank, Barnett basket and lots of other stuff. Cost all in (including purchase) is about $4,500 USD. The thing rips and other than being a little heavier than new bikes and lacking electric start, it's all I could ask for.

I could have done it a lot cheaper, sticking with the stock pipe and carb, not replating the cylinder (it was decent), and keeping the stock front end/brakes, but what fun would that have been?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk74 View Post
If you can do the work yourself and have the time, you might come out ahead (well, as ahead as you can come out throwing money at toys!!). I just completely rebuilt this 2011 300. Purchased for $1,600 burning transmission oil. Now it has a KYB swap valved/sprung for my weight/skill, 270mm front brake rotor, new brake lines, House of Horsepower Pipe, Lectron carb, S3 head, newly plated cylinder, new piston, rebuilt crank, Barnett basket and lots of other stuff. Cost all in (including purchase) is about $4,500 USD. The thing rips and other than being a little heavier than new bikes and lacking electric start, it's all I could ask for.

I could have done it a lot cheaper, sticking with the stock pipe and carb, not replating the cylinder (it was decent), and keeping the stock front end/brakes, but what fun would that have been?

Thanks and nice looking bike! I bought mine for $1800 OTD and have already added a Lectron, and Fixed the e-start. Definately worth rebuilding to me. It is not the lightest or best steering bike, but I like the quirks and it always gets me back to the truck!

Been wondering about a KYB fork swap. I prefer changing fork seals on my Marzochis over my friends KYB forks, but they can get parts anywhere... Good to know you were able to source parts for the crank rebuild. GGparts guy has been good so far for most of my parts.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD View Post
Thanks and nice looking bike! I bought mine for $1800 OTD and have already added a Lectron, and Fixed the e-start. Definately worth rebuilding to me. It is not the lightest or best steering bike, but I like the quirks and it always gets me back to the truck!

Been wondering about a KYB fork swap. I prefer changing fork seals on my Marzochis over my friends KYB forks, but they can get parts anywhere... Good to know you were able to source parts for the crank rebuild. GGparts guy has been good so far for most of my parts.
http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/

Ken O'Connor Racing was recommended to me on this forum a few months ago for the crank rebuild. He did two cranks for me this fall. Price is very good, work is impeccable and he does it in the time frame specified.

I have two 2011s, one that was already converted to KYB and the other with WER valved Marzocchis. After riding the KYB front end, I converted the other one as soon as I could. Just refreshed one set with new seals/bushings/oil and it was not a tough job.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 PM

I would rebuild - 2011 bike is not that old. Parts are readily available just check ebay: Zoke forks bushings/seals/springs/shims or contact MxTech for suspension parts Jeremy is very good or LTR. The engine hasn't changed very much in the bottom end or clutch area - power valve adjustment external added in about 2015 connecting rods and pistons haven't changed. So more of a side case change and minor change to water pump. If your looking for built wheels then maybe that could shock be a problem but you could just buy rims and rebuild with new spokes using your hubs. Plastics I think would be your only problem coming up with … some have updated with 2015 plastic I believe. The 2011 handles fine if it is set-up correctly for trail riding 2-4 gear stuff.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 PM

Plastics are readily available on Ebay as well.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahocharley View Post
I would rebuild - 2011 bike is not that old. Parts are readily available just check ebay: Zoke forks bushings/seals/springs/shims or contact MxTech for suspension parts Jeremy is very good or LTR. The engine hasn't changed very much in the bottom end or clutch area - power valve adjustment external added in about 2015 connecting rods and pistons haven't changed. So more of a side case change and minor change to water pump. If your looking for built wheels then maybe that could shock be a problem but you could just buy rims and rebuild with new spokes using your hubs. Plastics I think would be your only problem coming up with ? some have updated with 2015 plastic I believe. The 2011 handles fine if it is set-up correctly for trail riding 2-4 gear stuff.
Thanks! You guys rock! I?ll check out MXTech and Ken O? Connor. Hoping to be tearing into it within the next couple months. May make 1 more race first, my front wheel still turns