Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 AM

Default EC 300 2012 - jetting for singletrack (not racing)

Hello,

I am a new GG owner from Belgium and am looking into getting my bike right for me. I'm not racing, love to play around in the woods, got some open gravel roads connecting singletracks. Don't need the most power out of my bike, but am looking for a nice crisp performing machine with decent miles per gallon.

I have browsed the forum a bit to look for a good jetting for my bike, but up till now I haven't come up with a good setting just yet.

I think the bike is a bit rich for the riding I do, I also get a lot of spooge drooling down the exhaust. It's not the mufflerpacking, since the bike has only run 100km (+-60miles) or so.

Bike is completely stock now:
main 175
PJ 42
needle N1EF clip 3
AS 1 out

I run premix at 1:50, riding around sealevel with temperatures in the range of 5-25?C.

PLEASE HELP

pHreaC

Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

So you have browsed, but have you tried anything yet? Have you tried lifting the clip one position on the needle to lean that out. It appears you're once clip richer than what most the bikes deliver with. You do have some coolish temps though.

Thumperrider1 has installed the NEDJ needle in his 2012 and is very happy with it. It gives good clean power off the bottom with no real big hard hits waiting to bring you undone. Want more power, open the throttle more. It may be what you're looking for for your forest fun!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Lowering the needle is an option, but is it enough?
I was more thinking that I would need for example a 38PJ and a 170 main.
Some more miles per gallon would be appreciated, but I don't want to lean the bike out to much and create excessive wear and tear.

ps: 5-25?C is 40-80?F
Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM

i would try one thing at a time. drop your main jet to a 172,keep everything else the same.as much as some people say the main jet doesn't come into play, i have found that a skinnier hole in the main makes the bike leaner across the entire rpm range.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 AM

That is what I have found as well, adjust de PJ for the lower throttle opening and the main for full open position. This is why I wanted to have em both go down.
I would think that if I were to change one jet at a time, it would be the PJ.

grtz

pHreaC
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 AM

maybe this helps to understand

Full load:
larger main jet nozzle -> mixture becomes richer
smaller main jet nozzle -> mixture is leaner

1/4 to 3/4 throttle:
Needle-> Set-> clip higher lean
Needle-> clip lower down the page-> richer

1/8 to 1/4 gas:
Slide> cutaway more> lean
Slide-> smaller cutaway> richer
larger pilot jet -> richer mixture
smaller pilot jet -> leaner

Idle to 1/8 Gas:
Idle screw pure-> more idle
Idle screw out-> less idle
Mixture screw (air filter side) -> in richer
Mixture screw (air filter side) -> out leaner
Mixture screw (cylinder side) -> in leaner
Mixture screw (cylinder side) -> out richer
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 AM

Yes, I already knew what the different jets and needle are for.
The theory is quite clear to me, it's the practical side I am looking for.

I suppose that some have tried different jettings to increase mpg and still remain with a lively engine that responds well and is not overly lean so that it may become hazardous. It's this info I am looking for, what jetting is working for them and might work for me too.
Power is abundant, so the only thing I am looking for is a nice crisp engine respons that is not too lean that the engine might be damaged and this would also imply good miles per gallon.

Still, thanks for the respons!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Jakobi has this stuff figured out!

On the 2012 use the NEDJ, 40 pilot, 172 main. Super clean off the bottom and runs crisp up to the top. Does not have that massive hit that gets you in trouble. Try it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Its true! I have a 2010 EC300R which uses the same 38mm ASII Carb, and have tried just about every combo of needle diameter, pilot, main, and clip position for the N1Ex, N3Ex, N3Cx, NEDx and NECx. The findings are well documented in the jetting section.

Thumperrider1 has implemented the NEDJ in his 2012 with good results, and I'm currently working with 2 others with 2012's in Australia to see what works for them. In my findings the stock needle has a really rich first taper, and a short straight section, which is what gives it the richness off the bottom (even if paired with a super lean pilot). The other needles work around this quite well. NEDx/NECx offer clean linear response, N3Ex/N3Cx have more of a mx transition in the mid range.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperrider1 View Post
Jakobi has this stuff figured out!

On the 2012 use the NEDJ, 40 pilot, 172 main. Super clean off the bottom and runs crisp up to the top. Does not have that massive hit that gets you in trouble. Try it.
Just wondering what clip position you ended up in? Temp and elevation also. Thx