Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Default Start up after rebuild

Any tips for getting an 03 EC300 started after a rebuild.It did run for a few seconds on the 4th or 5th kick,after i switched the choke and fuel off and wound the throtle to the stop.Don't think there's much wrong,got good sprark and plug is full of fuel when i take it out after a good kicking.I've been kicking/changing plugs all afternoon.

I have fitted a s/hand carb from a dealer,that i have cleaned and set float hight,it's fine as far as i can tell.

I put a small amount of pre-mix with a bit of fuel in the plug hole while the bike was sitting around waiting for other jobs to be done,i think that is what's coming from the p/v breather now.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Why did you rebuild it? Are you sure the crack seals are ok? If you pull off the ignition cover does it smell like gas? does the oil smell like gas?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Starting

Why did engine get rebuilt?why second hand carb?if you are positive engine was rebuilt correctly, I would recheck that carb.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.Rebuild was just for a decoke and sort a couple of power valve issues,cheak things were ok.Think i will go back to that carb again.I changed the carb because the float mount was badly worn on the original.

Not had a 2stroke for years,thought i might be missing something on start up routine.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM

sounds like the carb mate is it jetted correctly air/fuel mixture etc. could do with tuning. check the jetting to the original carb or put that back on to eliminate the issue.

is the piston in the correct way
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Today is a good day!
She's running a treat.I did a few "Green lanes" in glorious sunshine on the Isle of Man this afternoon,and i seem to have sorted all the issues i had with the bike 12 months ago.The only thing a can snag it on is the tick-over,which i'm sure i've read an article on the site concerning that very issue.I must say the site has been a great help to a new Gasser owner that hasn't had a 2T for at least 20 years.If anyone comes across the idle advice i'd appreciate a link.

Oh yeah...found out the problem was the idiot amateur mechanic...who left a workshop rag in the back of carb! Eer,that'd be me then!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM

ops oh well at least it was nothing to major lol