Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Default 03 FSE450 starting help

O.K. need some help here. Below is a link to a video of what my bike is doing when I try to start it.
So far I have done the following.
Quick spin starter gear set.
New battery kept on a tender.
Manual cam chain tensioner.
Valve adjustment.
Removed cleaned and inspected starter.
Visual inspection of sprag clutch
Removed and cleaned all grounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zefLa-leTJM

Any ideads or help is greatly appreciated.
If I bump start the bike it runs fantastic and idle great, but when I turn it off it won,t e-start or kick start.

Thanks
Paul

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well it is definately slipping. I am guessing sprag clutch. A friend of mine on a 04, had the races machined in a lathe cause of uneven wear. Then replaced innards of sprag clutch. The clutch is available as a standard part, I just cannot remember company name. Do a search in forum.

My '05 had an extra safety clutch to protect stuff in case of backfires. It is a gear consisting of three discs, pressed together with a cupped washer. It started to slip ocfourse. I added an extra 0,5 mm shim to increase the clutch force. Works fine now.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Looks and sounds like the automatic decompresser is not working to me and that is stalling the starter clutch!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Auto decompress was my first thought. The valves were perfect and the bike has less than 500 original miles. When I put the quick spin gears in it started fine about 20 times then back to what it's doing now.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Sounds like the sprag clutch to me.The starter is still spinning and the engine now and then.The poxy sprag is the weak link.Look carefully at the little flaps(sprags).They'll have flipped the other way bending the case they're in.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
My '05 had an extra safety clutch to protect stuff in case of backfires. It is a gear consisting of three discs, pressed together with a cupped washer. It started to slip ocfourse. I added an extra 0,5 mm shim to increase the clutch force. Works fine now.
I did the same thing to mine.

Racepaul, what is a quick spin starter gear set?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM

@ ricknaz I thought the quick spin gear set I was getting was a differant gear ratio, but it's the same. I also added a washer to the cupped washers but still haveing the same issue. The sprag clutch looks good, I will post some close up pics later. Any ideas on what I should try next.