Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 AM

Talking EC200 wont start - PROBLEM SOLVED

Just had a complete rebuild, top to bottom, all worn parts replaced.

Bike started 2nd kick and ran absolutely perfectly for ten minutes, then suddenly cut out while riding down a road in fourth gear, as if it ran out of fuel.

Here are the things i've checked/done so far:

-Checked for spark, its a bright blue fat one (even changed the plug as a precaution)
- Checked all ignition cables
- Cleaned carby (jets and all) and checked for blockages in fuel line
- Drained all old fuel (was four months old...) from fuel tank and replaced with new fuel
- has a brand new air filter, freshly oiled
- checked reed valves
- disconnected kill switch (has a brand new one) and kicked it over, no luck.
- plenty of compression (haven't checked with a gauge but you can feel it when you try to kick it...)

Feels like i've checked everything! It just wont start...

Last edited by Skele; 09-03-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skele View Post
Just had a complete rebuild, top to bottom, all worn parts replaced.

Bike started 2nd kick and ran absolutely perfectly for ten minutes, then suddenly cut out while riding down a road in fourth gear, as if it ran out of fuel.

Here are the things i've checked/done so far:

-Checked for spark, its a bright blue fat one (even changed the plug as a precaution)
- Checked all ignition cables
- Cleaned carby (jets and all) and checked for blockages in fuel line
- Drained all old fuel (was four months old...) from fuel tank and replaced with new fuel
- has a brand new air filter, freshly oiled
- checked reed valves
- disconnected kill switch (has a brand new one) and kicked it over, no luck.
- plenty of compression (haven't checked with a gauge but you can feel it when you try to kick it...)

Feels like i've checked everything! It just wont start...
Stupid question,
BUT, it is not the fuel cap blocked therefore not allowing vacuum for fuel???
Try releasing or undoing cap and see what happens.
Had similar occurances on a road racer.
Cheers Mark
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Flywheel key?
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Turn the gas on!

It sounds like you covered all the bases but then again I'm no expert.

Check the carb boot for air leak???
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
Flywheel key?
I 2nd this idea. Or loose stator and the timing slipped? All of this had to have been removed for the bottom end part of the rebuild. Some on this board have even had issues with the left side crank seal falling out after a poor installation.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Stupid question,
BUT, it is not the fuel cap blocked therefore not allowing vacuum for fuel???
Try releasing or undoing cap and see what happens.
Had similar occurances on a road racer.
Cheers Mark
I forgot to mention that i have checked for a blockage in the breather hose, tried starting it without the entire fuel cap even. Also tried pulling off the fuel hose and letting the fuel run through, no blockages there.

Quote:
Turn the gas on!

It sounds like you covered all the bases but then again I'm no expert.

Check the carb boot for air leak???
Checked the boot for an air leak too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
I 2nd this idea. Or loose stator and the timing slipped? All of this had to have been removed for the bottom end part of the rebuild. Some on this board have even had issues with the left side crank seal falling out after a poor installation.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.

I had also pulled the side cover off to check the nut and it was tight. HOWEVER, i haven't tried pulling the flywheel off. Maybe the key was not reinserted after the rebuild? I think it was pretty wedged in it's slot though, i know i never took it out! I don't have a flywheel puller, that's why i haven't tried yanking it off yet...But i agree, it does sound like some sort of timing issue.

I also realize that it sounds strange that i was in 4th gear down a road TEN MINUTES after starting it for the first time since a rebuild (i.e. not breaking it in). Only parts replaced in the bike were seals, bearings, piston rings, all gaskets and about half the gearbox (HUGE damage in the gearbox was the reason for the rebuild). So i didn't see the need for a full break in process, however i was only revving to about half the maximum revs. I was taking it very easy.

I should probably also properly check the compression with a gauge. I REALLY hope i haven't got a piston seizure. I'll probably kill someone.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM

It seems unlikely that it would jump time even without the woodruff key as long as the nut is tight. Jamming the rear brake without pulling in the clutch thereby bringing the motor to a sudden stop could possibly cause the timing to move but I'd look for something simpler first. Is the plug wet after you've cranked it for awhile? Does it sound like it tries to start? If the answer is no and no then you've probably got a fuel problem. If you know you're getting fuel to the carb it might be good to double check the main jet to see if it's blocked.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
It seems unlikely that it would jump time even without the woodruff key as long as the nut is tight. Jamming the rear brake without pulling in the clutch thereby bringing the motor to a sudden stop could possibly cause the timing to move but I'd look for something simpler first. Is the plug wet after you've cranked it for awhile? Does it sound like it tries to start? If the answer is no and no then you've probably got a fuel problem. If you know you're getting fuel to the carb it might be good to double check the main jet to see if it's blocked.
I've pulled the carb apart and checked all jets. But i haven't checked to see if the plug is wet after 10 or so kicks. I will tonight. I also haven't tried soaking the carb in carb cleaner.

In a similar post on another forum someone found that their spark plug was not getting wet. Someone suggested that they throw a bit of fuel in chamber and see if it fires up, which would show a fuel blockage. Is this a good idea? will that actually work?

The bike doesn't seem to try and start at all. Holding in the kill switch while kicking it over doesn't seem to change the number of times it turns over when i kick it either.

UPDATE:

Pulled the pipe off, no evidence of a seizure. Fuel sprays out the exhaust port if i kick it over numerous times, so there is obviously fuel getting to the chamber. If i kick the bike over a few times and then pull the plug out i find smoke in there so SOMETHING is getting ignited. Next check could possibly be for an air leak?

Last edited by Skele; 09-01-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 AM

Go through your electrical again. You can see a spark, but that does not mean it will fire under compression. Start with the HV coil wire connections at the coil and cap. Check grounds as well. The potential timing issue is a good point too. Look for problems where you have been last.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

The old '3 things to make an engine go' rule applies.
You've got compression,--new top end.
You've got fuel,from observation re exhaust port.
Have you got spark?? with the plug fitted and wire on.GMP in above post describes it well.The HT lead if rubbing against metal or water hose will leak into them ,than fire the plug under compression.
Even with timing out,it maynot run but backfiring of some sort will occur if the above 3 areall there.