Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Your 2 cents...

OK folks...love to hear your opinion on this....

What are your feelings on the newest / latest formats for off road racing like "Sprint Enduro" or having a 2 moto format for hare scrambles?

Do you have a preference? Pro and cons...love it or hate it? Are these formats bringing in more riders? Is it making off road racing easier?

Sound off, would love to hear some feedback from ya'll.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM

I think there needs to be some old school enduro's where you are on the bike all day and had to be tough to finish, the races we have now are just riding the same course over and over again. I do understand that we cannot ride on the public land anymore and the promoters are trying to keep off-road racing going. If the AMA would have bought land instead of fighting to keep the use of public land we could have large riding properties. Maybe if all the dirt bikers pitched in some money we could by our own riding lands.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 PM

Just got done doing a 2 hour hare scramble on Sunday. It was in the low 80's and humid. So it was long, hot, and difficult. I was wiped, but never stopped and kept a good pace the entire race.

I find it really comes down to conditioning rather than raw talent or the bike. I see lots of fast guys on the side of the trail taking rests and I see older guys on smaller slower bikes able to stay a consistent pace and do very well.

The endurance factor takes out the need for raw speed or the best bike to do well. On the 1st lap of a 2 hour race I keep telling myself to hold back and calm down to stay in for the long haul.

With that said I am dying to try the new sprint format but my strength is not raw speed but endurance. Some of The guys that I ride with who don't race, one of their biggest concerns is the length of a classic hare scramble, so I think more would come out for a sprint race, especially the moto-x guys.

It would be fun and maybe I wouldn't need life support at the end of the race. I was HAMMERED at the end of Sunday race.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Your 2 cents...

I am going to try the new 2 moto format at the OMA race at Russell Creek in a few weeks and see how I like it. I have mixed feelings right now. On one hand I like the concept because you can just ride flat out for 2 laps and then eat a PB&J and the ride flat out for 2 more laps. On the other hand I think it will draw more of the slower riders that have no business in the race and it takes away the survival aspect of it.
As far as the national Enduro format I think it's awesome! When I ride my dirt bike I do t want to have to look at my watch all day and worry about time more than smacking the next tree.
The sprint enduros were long overdue in the states and I am glad to see the success they are having.

Bottom line is all these format changes and new style series have grown the sport tremendously! I am in Indiana and we have 2 GNCC's, 2 national enduros, a Full Gas Enduro, 5 different xc series, and a National outdoor motocross event! How cool is that.

I am also seeing combined entries pushing the 1,000 mark in a local series with a large number of them being youth entries which means there is a next generation! The sport is thriving and it looks like it is going to continue to grow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM

I've done one 2 moto hare scramble and I cannot say that I was a fan. It was in the middle of the summer and we raced thirty minutes and then waited what seemed like an eternity for the second moto. We were there all day but only rode a tiny bit and I spent the whole afternoon wondering if it was time for my class to race again. I guess maybe I'm a little too trained by the hare scramble format. I like to race and then get ungeared and hang out with my friends.

I haven't tried any type of enduro, but I'd like to. They kind of sound like my style of riding.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Banned

This year our series had sprint enduro. I skipped it, if I wanted to race a lap then sit and wait I would ride mx! Although I don't mind the restart enduro format.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM

I have never run a sprint enduro, but this does not sound very appealing for reasons stated by others. I prefer the modified "time keeper" formats to hare scrambles. I would love to see someone put on a true time keeper enduro.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I've done one 2 moto hare scramble and I cannot say that I was a fan. It was in the middle of the summer and we raced thirty minutes and then waited what seemed like an eternity for the second moto. We were there all day but only rode a tiny bit and I spent the whole afternoon wondering if it was time for my class to race again. I guess maybe I'm a little too trained by the hare scramble format. I like to race and then get ungeared and hang out with my friends.

I haven't tried any type of enduro, but I'd like to. They kind of sound like my style of riding.
A group tried the Worcs 2 moto style here in Ontario & it was a flop. It only works on open, fast, short courses, benefitting the racer that loves to go really fast, but maybe doesn't necessarily have as much core skill or endurance as a more technical rider.
I thought it was kind of a dumb idea myself, as a lot of racers want to do their event, then get back into their street clothes, have cold one & socialize a bit, get their hardware then head home.
They also tried the sprint enduro format as well with similar results......lead balloon......
Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
OK folks...love to hear your opinion on this....

What are your feelings on the newest / latest formats for off road racing like "Sprint Enduro" or having a 2 moto format for hare scrambles?

Do you have a preference? Pro and cons...love it or hate it? Are these formats bringing in more riders? Is it making off road racing easier?

Sound off, would love to hear some feedback from ya'll.
Rod,

I would like to try the (2) moto Cross Country, I think this would be like the J-Day series...which looks fun!!

No Sprint enduros either....the greenies would burst a vessel I'm sure out here!

AMA District36 hasn't tried any of these new formats. The District is kinda stuck back in time out here with running GP's, Cross Country and Hare Scrambles with the Cross Country series being the largest displine.

These guys will not give up on timekeeper enduros....very traditional group. We have a few non timekeeps, but majority is timekeepers........The new owners of ICO (Checkmate) is a D36 member......so you can see where they push timekeepers......then complain why low rider turnout...
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals