Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Dial a Jet

I just bought my first GG. Its a 2003 EC250 converted to a 300. I came off a 200 KTM380 and was surprised how much I like the GG. The 380 was an unbelievable pain to jet and prior to selling it was considering a carb mod through Dicks racing and having him install a dial a jet kit as well as offset bore the carb to a 39. Here is a link to his site

http://www.dicksracing.com/index.php

Has anybody used the Dial a jet on their GG? I searched the forums and didnt find any reference to it.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

The Dial-a-jet has been around a long, long, long time - I don't think it addresses the issue. It's extremely easy to rotate the carb around and change out jets on your new bike. Rotate it one way and pull the slide then rotate it the other way and pull the bottom of the carb off.

Give Ron a call at RB-Designs - he is a sponsor here. He makes several modifications to the carb that completely clean it up. In addition, you should consider having the squish and combustion chamber re-shaped by him. This will make the bike run much cleaner and stronger- you will see greater fuel efficiency as well.

His website is www.rb-designs.com and he hangs out here occasionally.

You can do a search on the forum here to find reviews of his work.

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM

While changing jetting is easy and RB mods are the way to go, I can not change my piolt, float height, or main by rotating the carb because it will hit the tank. So unless the tank comes off as well than I can not just rotate it.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

My '01 was not much different than your '02 and I could rotate the carb enough to access the pilot and main without removing the tank. With the LTR case saver installed - I did need to pull it off to get it out of the way.

You can't rotate it all the way around - but you can rotate it enough to remove the slide - then once the slide is removed and moved out of the way - you can rotate it further in the opposite direction to get access to the bottom of the carb.

You can replace the screws on the float bowl with allen heads to make it easier. Ron at RB-Designs packages up some stainless allen bolts with the allen key for $6.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
While changing jetting is easy and RB mods are the way to go, I can not change my piolt, float height, or main by rotating the carb because it will hit the tank. So unless the tank comes off as well than I can not just rotate it.
?????

Even with the throttle cable and slide pulled?

Do you have an aftermarket tank on there?

The difficulties I had rotating the carb were the big nut on the float bowl hitting my case saver and all of the vent tubes had hardened so much they just wouldn't flex. I removed the offending section of the case saver with a hacksaw and replaced all of the crappy stiff OEM vent lines with Tygon fuel line. That stuff stays soft and flexible. Much more betterer.

---------------------------------

I guess I'm too slow at typing... kinda redundant... but thanks for reminding me to pick up some allen screws for the float bowl Jeff.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Rpduc -
No worries. I forgot about having to pursuade that long tangle of vent tubes to go along. I recall that Les ran half the vents up and half down whereas stock they all run down. The ones running down were trimmed at a 45 degree angle.... (too much information - I know...)

By the way, I did have trouble losing track of that little pivot pin for the float on occasion. In other words, be more careful than I was if you are trying to do this alongside the trail.

jeff
Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Sorry blueberry , I guess we should get back to YOUR query.

I'd like to hear some first hand reports on that dial a jet. Even though my MC 250 is cake to jet the Dial a jet sounds like an interesting concept.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM

I have a clark tank on it. Also like you said the bottom drain plug bolt is in the way of the case saver. I am doing the carb and head mod sometime soon so the bike should never need any major change unless ridding somewhere really different.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Hi all. I had the same issues when I first got my EC 250, carb was hitting my gas tank and case saver. You just have to push the air box intake and the carb passes both the case saver and the tank. It really takes about 10 minutes to change the main, the pilot is a bit messy since you have to take the bottom off and the pilot gets out only when you rotate carb down and tap the carb body so pilot slides out. Care should be taken not to loose the float bowl shaft(I hold it in place with one finger).

Yz 250 '06, KTM exc 250 '05, exc 250 '04, exc 250 '02
WRF250 '02, KDX 220 '98, DT200R '93 all sold
Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM

I havent found changing the jets difficult for me. I try to keep pretty good notes on what set up worked well for me dependant on conditions altitude etc. I have definietly been looking at RB designs especially considering all of the very happy GG riders. I found the dial a jet interesting because I could reduce prep time and increase ride time! The article on Dicks website sure liked it. I was hoping someone here had tried it. Thanks for the input!!