Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Site Sponsor

Default gas consumption 200 race pace?

i always top off 1-1.5 hours into a race (harescramble), but i think i might be wasting time. i never thought about checking and seeing how much fuel i have/used...anyone run 2 hours race pace with a well jetted 200/stock tank?? i don't wanna run out of fuel, but i would think i could get 60+ miles on a tank?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM

If you do not know how much fuel is left in the tank before you top it off, do you know how much do you add to it to fill it back up ?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Site Sponsor

one would think i would pay attention to these sorts of things, but i don't. i use a 5 gallon jug, and i add 2 gallons to this jug when i think it needs it. so i've not had an empty jug, or a known quantity in a long time..

come to think of it, that probably means there's some old gas in there. but the gasgas is the only bike that i have that i run 50:1.. i'm switching to 40:1 this year, so maybe i'll empty the jug finally.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM

I really think you need to look at the course, type of terrain, and weather and gearing. I have raced my 200 with (stock tank), which is jetted pretty fat. I ran 13/51 gearing with a Maxis IT120/100/18.

In enduros it depends on the format....I have got right at 50-55 miles out of a tank, but that was a time keeper, the "new format" qualifier type, I've needed fuel and have topped off my tank 45-50 mile mark. The qualifer events I seem to use more fuel..... special test sections???

In D-36 our hare scrambles /cross country races tend to be more open terrain, which means higher speeds, more main jet, more fuel! I have been able to go the distance on a full tank. I topped off to the tip top. I keep my fuel can in the pits with 1 gallon in it, no more or less. If I do need fuel it's on the second to last lap or the start of the last lap. The reason I use 1 gallon is it will not over flow, empties the can quick, and will be enough to finish the race if I make the time cut off and have to do another lap I have enough to go the distance.

I always asked the club how long the course is. Then I looked at the results of the race(s) that went before me. I count their laps and lap times, that gives me a pretty good idea on time / laps & miles, then I would figure out my own game plan, most of time I could go the distance. I have never ran out of fuel, but I have had to go to reserve, just once.

I would look for a loop that you know the miles, then top off your tank and run it at race pace for 2 hours and see what happens. That should give you a good idea on how to plan.

Hope that helps or give you food for thought.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 02-07-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
i always top off 1-1.5 hours into a race (harescramble), but i think i might be wasting time. i never thought about checking and seeing how much fuel i have/used...anyone run 2 hours race pace with a well jetted 200/stock tank?? i don't wanna run out of fuel, but i would think i could get 60+ miles on a tank?
It's hard to be sure due to different terrains etc but I would be surprised if you needed to refuel. I just squeezed 3 hours out of my 300 once. My 200 I have fitted a larger tank just to make sure but that was so I could do a whole 3 hours without worrying and probably a timecard which tends to run more like 4 hours.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

On my 200 a 2hr hare scrambles was not possible on the stock tank. With a clarke i could do that but no more. I think the best in miles i got from a large tank was 65 miles and there was a half inch in the bottom at the end and that was trail riding.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
On my 200 a 2hr hare scrambles was not possible on the stock tank. With a clarke i could do that but no more. I think the best in miles i got from a large tank was 65 miles and there was a half inch in the bottom at the end and that was trail riding.
There lies the key!
My 3 hour event was about 60 miles while your 2 hour was 65. Terrain makes a big difference. Most of my events have hardly any WFO bits.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Site Sponsor

the courses here are all tight, rarely ever get outta third.. no straights more than 100 yards or so. they cram 5-6 miles into 100 acres or so average. between 5 and 8 laps (35-50 miles.. depending on weather/terrrain..) but when it's muddy i think i'm wot alot the time...i have a race coming up feb.28, so it'll be a mud/snow fest (we have 2 feet of snow right now..). i'm betting i go through 3 gallons..