Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Repair or Sell? Help for decision needed

Hi folks,

first off, being new to the forum I would like to introduce myself. My name is Michael from near Frankfurt in Germany. I just bought a 2008 GasGas EC450FSR. After riding street, it is my first Dirtbike and it is just about to turn into a nightmare.

The bike seems to have been sadly neglected, and fixed up for sale. Up to now, I mostly fixed small stuff but things changed when a mechanic opened the motor. According to him the Crankshafts bearings, Cylinder and Piston have to be replaced. Repairs would be around 1000?.

I would be thankful for any remarks that help me decide wether to write it off (sell it as spares?) or repair it and keep it.

thanks in advance

Michael

Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 PM

sorry to hear this kinda story, i've had the same (more or less) happen to me with my husa FS550.

i guess it all depends on how much you paid for it and how much you liked it so far...

i'm allso a bit in doubt if i should renew my own engine from my '00 gasser.and sell the bike in pieces...
so an '08 gasser seems a bit young to part out, don't you think?
just my thought...

ciao, hannes.
(fellow european rider )
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Sounds like thowing good money after bad imo.Like most modern 4ts a grenaded motor means a written off bike.That will very rarely happen to a smoker.
long live 2st's.
Alot of frame parts are interchangable with many other model gassers btw.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 PM

Spend the money and have it fixed. Most of your money when parting it is the motor.

You will get your $1000 back in fun. easy