Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 AM

Default gasgas wild 450 rev limiter / mapping questions

Hi,

I have a gasgas wild 450 2005 since almost 1 year ago
When a bought the dirtbike, I also got a lot of spareparts from a defect engine (from a gasgas 450 bike)

Recently I bought a tachometer/hourmeter and installed.
The revlimiter kicks in at only about 7500 rpm which is quite low.
It also backfires alot from the exhause when decreasing the throttle.

I have also tried another EFI unit, from the bike (before I installed the tacho) and with this unit the dirtbike revs probably 2000 rpm?s more before the rev limiter kicks in.
With this EFI unit the backfires is almost gone.

The difference in enging character is although night and day with these tho EFI units.

With the 1:st one that backfires, the power is very strong all the way up to the rev limiter, much low end grunt.
IAW15P.L2 Gas Gas HP 450-03

With the 2:nd one from the bike, the dirtbike has much less power in the low and middle rpm and wakes up from the high midrange and up
IAW15P.L1 Gas Gas FSE 450-03

I have measured the difference in speed between two reference points and it?s almost exactly the same regardless of which EFI unit that is installed, maybe a little little bit faster with the 1:st one.

Is it possible to change the rev limiter in the EFI unit?
Is there a difference in rev limits for the bikes and dirtbikes (quad)?
Is the EFI unit replaced on my dirtbike since it is a 2005 and the model name of the unit is: IAW15P.L2 Gas Gas HP 450-03 ?

As far as I have understood, you can only change "fuel trim" in the box, and it has nothing to do with the rev limiter.

I really want to have the same high rev limiter the 2:nd box has, but with the engine character from the 1:st box because the engine feels so much stronger.

Regards
Henrik

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Henrik- I *think* I have the same ECU as you in the 07 FSE, and Though I'd have to check, would suspect they might be the same with respect to this same kind of thing :
(And mine came with 2 ECUs too)

Look at your ECU, like where it is plugged in/how it bolts on:
If it's like mine, There should be, somewhere in there , a BLUE and YELLOW wire and a black wire, that both connect into the ECU, and are fastened to the ECU with an eyelet type connection (u stick a bolt thru it) the other ends of the wires fasten via these soft flexible connectors and go somewhere else, (to fuel system?)

On mine, my bike came w 2 ECUs, and came with the blue/yellow and the black wire CONNECTED.

The issue you are describing, and having 2 ECU w different maps (speculatively) sounds like something that could have been solved by disconnecting the blue / yellow wire.

Blue/yellow wire: is used to adjust the fuel mapping such that the bike runs leaner, purportedly to pass emissions requirements in some countries. I believe most of the 4t Gassers of this era came this way stock .

Bike ran a bit hot and ran jerky at highway speed when I got it. I then disconnected my wire, and it became a lot stronger thru the RPMS, smoother, and stopped popping. However it did become harder to start from cold start (I have to open the throttle a bit then it's fine)

I would check this out before you make any more adjustments to the ECU. Sounds like maybe the previous owner didn't know about this and thought he needed another ECU. At least that's what I would suspect was the case w mine.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Z? View Post
Henrik- I *think* I have the same ECU as you in the 07 FSE, and Though I'd have to check, would suspect they might be the same with respect to this same kind of thing :
(And mine came with 2 ECUs too)

Look at your ECU, like where it is plugged in/how it bolts on:
If it's like mine, There should be, somewhere in there , a BLUE and YELLOW wire and a black wire, that both connect into the ECU, and are fastened to the ECU with an eyelet type connection (u stick a bolt thru it) the other ends of the wires fasten via these soft flexible connectors and go somewhere else, (to fuel system?)

On mine, my bike came w 2 ECUs, and came with the blue/yellow and the black wire CONNECTED.

The issue you are describing, and having 2 ECU w different maps (speculatively) sounds like something that could have been solved by disconnecting the blue / yellow wire.

Blue/yellow wire: is used to adjust the fuel mapping such that the bike runs leaner, purportedly to pass emissions requirements in some countries. I believe most of the 4t Gassers of this era came this way stock .

Bike ran a bit hot and ran jerky at highway speed when I got it. I then disconnected my wire, and it became a lot stronger thru the RPMS, smoother, and stopped popping. However it did become harder to start from cold start (I have to open the throttle a bit then it's fine)

I would check this out before you make any more adjustments to the ECU. Sounds like maybe the previous owner didn't know about this and thought he needed another ECU. At least that's what I would suspect was the case w mine.
Thanks for your answer, the wire you are talking about is not connected on my ECU:s, I have tested with it connected though with a very powerless engine as a result
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Ok... Then maybe your fuel mapping settings on the ECU? I am not sure it would explain the rev limiter kicking in issue however it sounds like it is still showing signs of a lean condition. Mine has no back firing on decel with wire disconnected and I believe it is stock mapping .

Sometimes I wonder if people had them disconnected from the beginning felt it was too rich or went thru too much gas messed with the fuel mapping not knowing the wire was there to do that for them if they wanted it to.

My advice - call Mark at GoFasters. He is pretty familiar with the 4 strokes and they are very helpful people there. I am sure there are other guys too, but he has been my go-to for questions when the forum still leaves me scratching my head.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post

With the 2:nd one from the bike, the dirtbike has much less power in the low and middle rpm and wakes up from the high midrange and up
IAW15P.L1 Gas Gas FSE 450-03

Interested in selling this one?