Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM

I just spent 1 1/2 days riding KTM's and would not be able to adapt to the wide gas tank. I'm a bit knock kneed and like to hang on a lot with my knees. Up hills are very hard on the ktm. I must say they do have very plush suspension, but at the same time they are not nearly as planted feeling as the GasGas. I think the GG is much easier to ride fast.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM

I'd really like to ride the gaser and Katoom before I drop 8 grand on a new machine. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

PS. The 2010/2011 models also come in at 115kgs fully dressed with HD tubes, rad guards, pipe guard and bash plate. Tipping them side to side you won't feel the weight. Its only when lifting.

You'd also be mad not to take that offer from Clay! What other brand lets you deal directly with the importer?? and then haves them treat you like that?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Agreed jakobi. Thank you clay. I appreciate the offer. I can't except for free but I will contact you if I decide the gaser is the way to go. Thx for all the replys. This is a great forum!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM

BTW I posted the same question a few hours ago on a website that was mentioned earlier in this thread and I have had 0 response.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM

See Brad we are here for you.... before and after the sale !
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here dealer or private owner may be able to hook you up with a ride? I took a gamble on mine and bought sight unseen and without ever throwing a leg over one. I'm glad I did or I probably wouldn't have learnt to know the joy.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm sure most here would let you try a GG if in your area or at an event. KTM should not be that hard to find and try. The new GG has a more serious feel to the fork. I would not call it plush, but its not abusive either and does not deflect or do anything bad. A firm connected feel.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default New bike.

Just curious Glenn,does your new 12 model feel bigger than your 07.

Dave
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Yes and no, more roomy but not big feeling on the trail. I was initially concerned about this because I'm only 5'9" and really liked the slightly smaller traditional GG platform. Plus I ride a lot of real technical stuff. I find that in practice it is a non issue, except for the occasional tipover fall where I can't get a foot down. This always happens but maybe a little more often on the new bike. Handling wise the new frame is great. I was also concerned they may have turned it into a KTM or something but fear not, it still steers like a light, agile bike. If anything maybe not as ultra fast, but still plenty fast and with extra stability. I had a real good day on the bike Sunday riding some real technical trail (cut by locals who are also trials riders) at low to medium speed and the bike works fantastic.

My biggest problem now is the linkage and lower shock eye getting the crap beat out of them. It is a real concern as it happens on every ride and I'm worried about destroying the shock mount. I'm in the process of designing a link skid made from HDPE as I need something fast. Hopefully Scorpion will come through with another production run of their parts, I should have grabbed one of the first ones. If your terrain is less extreme this will not be a problem.