Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replys, I have requested a quote from all the Dealers mentioned.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

pretty fair assessment, I think, & I'm a KTM guy. I rode the '08 300 XC on a demo ride the other day & it was fun, but it is quite snappy--lots of fun in the open or on a short ride, maybe not so much fun after a couple of hours in gnarly terrain. KTM's build quality is 1st-rate & the light weight & new frame are nice; the suspension is better, but nowhere close to the Ohlins on the '07 TM I rode the same day.

you guys are saying that the Sachs/Marzocchi combo is as good or better than the Ohlins?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 AM

My '07 GasGas, with Sachs/Marzocchi, was the best stock suspended bike I ever rode in my rocky east coast terrain. The stock KTM is not even in the same league. With some minor valving changes to fit me, its the best suspended bike I've ridden, period. The '07 GasGas is truely a great motorcycle, best kept secret in the woods.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Site Sponsor

I agree with Glenn, my '07 with the Sachs/Zokes are the greatest. Plus anyone who rides my bike says the same especially KTM riders.
Claude
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Hmmm, thanks. I hear (read) that the G-Gs have lots of little "quirks". what are some examples of those, please?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

GasGas Quirks:
1) Chain guide is different, but it works very well.
2) Purpose built enduro race bike.
3) Doesn't require much modification to work well in the woods.
4) Built in Spain, not Japan or Austria.
5) Has a tendency to pass KTMs quickly and easily.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
GasGas Quirks:
5) Has a tendency to pass KTMs quickly and easily.
LOL! I love 5.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:23 PM

here is a quirk for you

unlike the austrians who like to use many of the same kind of fasteners so the bike can be pulled a part with just a few tools ... the spanish seem to like to put many different kinds of fasteners so you need to use a few more tools pulling the bike apart.

Throttle cable has been cut to a very exact length, and while it works it should be an inch or two longer. Motion Pro has the longer one

thats it ... some oddball fasteners and a kinda short throttle cable

some of the older bikes had a short kickstater, mine is fine

honestly I have found this bike to be pretty damn quirk free. most of my time has been spent trying to dial it in, not fix/deal with any odd ball quirks
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Some of us hate our kickstands and modify them. To small of a footprint and stands up to straight. That's the only real quirk I can think of, it's a great bike.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm on my third GG, and like the others here, I hesitate to call them quirks, but here's my list.

Kickstand. It tucks away really nice, but the auto retract is uncommon to us here in the U.S. Quite frankly, I still don't like the auto retract. On my first GG I moved the spring attach point on the frame and solved that problem. Since then I have not bothered. Although I have broken no less than 5 kickstand springs.

Carb: This is an odd one. I went to put on a Power Now gadget... You know, the one that puts a little wing inside the inlet. Well, I guess not all PWK 39's are created equal, because when we pulled one out for a KTM with that same carb, it didn't line up with the holes. Wierd. The positive thing, my 300 doesn't need any help.

Throttle cable: I saw it here before, but with my sub mount steering damper, a longer throttle cable is a must. Sub mounts weren't even available last time I owned another brand, so I would assume I would need a longer cable with them as well.

After market goodies: Some products just aren't made for the Gas Gas. I want some of that anti slosh tank foam. They make a universal fit, but it sure is nice if it's been thought out directly for your application.

All of these are tolerable things. It's way easier to live with the Gas Gas than a converted Japanese MXer.

A side note about quirks: Some quirks would steer me clear of a bike all together, others are a pain. With the GG, there is frankly no real pain in the rear.

I had a friend with an ATK 250 LQ once. That bike was a project. After gusseting the rear brake reservior, rethinking this and that, and figuring out how it all went together, that bike worked really well. It was fun to ride, and easy to work on. It did, however take several weeks to sort it all out when he got it. Right up 'till the first time he broke his foot between the shock and whatever. Apparently it's easy to catch your foot on that shock, because he did it again, twice before replacing the bike.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs