Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up ZAC Speed chest protector.

I recently bought a ZAC Speed Exotec RP-3 chest protector. There are two versions depending on your storage needs. The RP-3 is the smaller version.
I have a couple rides on it so far.

This is by far the best chest protector I've ever owned. It is well made and has a lot of neat features.

The water bladder holds 3L and is made of this cool mirror like plastic.
The "back pack" has two zippered storage pouches on each side and a main storage compartment that is separate from the water bladder.
This compartment has a removable tool pouch.

There are two straps on each side to hold the chest protector in place-This thing does NOT bounce around at all.

Extra straps are included to convert the unit to a back pack, this is good for when you're doing trail work and don't need full coverage.

If you're in the market for a C P. Take a look at the ZAC Speed.

http://zacspeed.com/exotecRp3.shtml

Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Girard,

I'm going to need a new CP. How does this one seem to carry the weight of the water pack? Is it distributed evenly downward or does it want to rotate backward? Now that I have a piece of titanium just under the skin, I think that I will have to add some extra padding in that area of the shoulder pad/chest plate connection so it doesn't chew me up. This will be true for any CP but it would be nice to start with something better. I know my current Camelback strap pushes my Fox CP right down on that plate and it will bother me. Also is it bulky? Do you have a pic of you wearing it? The thing is pricy and I would hate to spend the coin and hate it. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Glenn.
It carries the weight very well.
It does not pull down on your back at all.
I was constantly pulling the front down on my old CP.

The ZAC CP has dual straps on each side to hold in place.

Thumper Talk has these for $175.

I'll see if I can get some photos for you.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Girard,

I'm going to need a new CP. How does this one seem to carry the weight of the water pack? Is it distributed evenly downward or does it want to rotate backward? ....
I'm in the market as well. One that has my interest is the "Rockgardn" "Trailstar".
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/172...Body-Armor.htm
It has connection points for an optional hydration pack and elbow guards.

Sorry about the hijack.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Sure looks like a good idea. I want one that offers protection against impact like a tree that has padding. The Trailstar looks good and the ZAC.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM

The trailstar gives me the impression it would be very hot, and also harder to clean as there is more soft material.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Glenn,

I think you would like the Zac Speed protector. I would like to have one myself but I just bought new boots and the wife said no more "do dads" for awhile. Imagine that.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Another nice thing about the Zacspeed chest protector is that they work well with a Leatt brace. It's a pretty good unit. I can also recommend the Acerbis Koerta. It's a full set of armor - chest and full spine protector along with elbow guards and kidney belt, AND it was designed to work with a Leatt brace as well. I prefer the Acerbis myself, I find it to be less bulky... But, it's your money! Spend it wherever you like. Either choice will be fine.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Glenn,,
If you get one I'm going to need to check it out,, that looks good,, I run a fox airframe and mount my pack to the back panel with ziptys,, and use a small bungy cord to the belt loop on the pants to keep it from rotating back.. I'm not real happy with the shoulders in it.. Since I've now had so many broken ribs and vert. damage I need a new/good CP too.. I'm watching this thread..
Steve
Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM

I now have a FOX Roost II that I have had for a few years. Like the ZacSpeed, it has stiff polycarbonate chest and backplate. I really like this as it provides better protection from being speard by sticks and/or your bars in a crash. I wear a Camelback over the top, and have added a snap connector to the ends of the shoulder straps to keep them tight. This works fairly well, but I think it will be uncomfortable on my right shoulder.

Personally, the Acerbis Zoom I had was junk and fell apart in one season, I would never buy another one.

Steve, none of these things is going to protect you against a high energy impact, but the shoulders should be good enough for rolling on in a low speed get off.