Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Default Marzocchi 48 Cartridge Problem

Hello Guys!

Please Watch my Fotos! After Riding with my 2013 GasGas 300 Racing, i noticed that the right cartridge-adjustment comes about 1cm out. Now you can see the O-Ring. I can?t see oil leak. The Fork has never been serviced, and has 16 handy hours. I dismounted my handlebar and tryed to pull it back down, but i can?t. What is the reason for this Problem, and what can i do?
I Need my Bike fully functional in one week Please help me!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Photos not attached.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Pics

These are my Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gabel 2.jpg (41.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Gabel 3.jpg (38.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Gabel 4.jpg (32.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Has it always been like that or has it been adjusted? I'm not going to be much help to you but someone who's had these apart and knows how the PFP adjuster connects will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM

I've had mine apart but have not had the PFP knob out. I'm going to give you my best guess. I suspect there is an internal snap ring missing or broken, that would limit the upward travel of the PFP adjuster. I can feel this "hard top out" when I turn mine CCW. With no stop, it would just unscrew like your pic. To get back to functionality, try threading it back in to the same dimension as the other leg. This will take some pressure to engage the threads as your working against the PFP springs 7mm minimum preload. It would be easier if you loosened the compression assy a couple turns to reduce preload, but this requires a special tool. Considering there could possibly be loose snap ring parts on top of the PFP piston, I'd have this serviced ASAP.

What really sucks, at least here, is parts/documentation/support for this fork is nonexistent.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Has it always been like that or has it been adjusted? I'm not going to be much help to you but someone who's had these apart and knows how the PFP adjuster connects will be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks Jakobi. A few weeks befor i tried to screw the pfp until its maximum and minimum preload...but after 3 times out from maximal in, i stopped, so i think i didn't move it to mouch way out. I marked the pfp piston with red colour befor moving, and it sets about 2,75 out, and this is the position when it cames again out... i dont understand and can't see a holding ring or something broken
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmare View Post
Thanks Jakobi. A few weeks befor i tried to screw the pfp until its maximum and minimum preload...but after 3 times out from maximal in, i stopped, so i think i didn't move it to mouch way out. I marked the pfp piston with red colour befor moving, and it sets about 2,75 out, and this is the position when it cames again out... i dont understand and can't see a holding ring or something broken
Its what you can't see thats the issue here. I'd definitely follow Glenns advise and put them in for a service. I know its not what you want to be dropping coin on at the moment, but maybe take the opporunity to work with a tuner and have them set up to meet your needs a bit more at the same time. Forcing it back in is a bit of a recipe for disaster and as above, they shouldn't back right out like that so something has either been broken/left out internally.

Alternatively you could try and push it through as a warranty job with your dealer. Depending on who they are and how you feel about their work you might have them cover parts and labour on the pull down.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM

fixmare,

I have had everything apart BUT THAT, and held the cartridge cap in my hand while turning the PFP out to the stop. I have since seen a drawing that shows what looks like a ring as well as the oring seen in your photo, but no part #s. Something MUST be there to limit and retain the PFP adjuster, and no you will not see it unless you disassemble the compression assembly. I suspect its a retaining ring on the PFP adjuster itself that seats on a narrow shoulder withen the cap, very much like the spring preload collar and retaining ring on the outside of the catridge. This would be exposed when the PFP adjuster is turned in CW far enough.

I hope I'm making sense to you here. I realize you need to be somewhat familiar with how most forks are designed but there is not much else it can be. If you don't have the skills/tools to tear it down take it to someone who can. Likely its a standard metric retaining ring thats missing or bad, but if you wreck something Marzocchi specific, your screwed.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM

I did not dismantle the compression assembly either , I'll have to do it the next time as I can barely sense the clickers turning.
Take a look at this pic, might be the ring that is missing on yours ? Not sure if this is the one:

Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM

I don't think thats it. Look at the bottom of the cartridge cap, you can see the natural aluminum colored body of the bottom of the PFP adjuster, easily contrasting the gold anodized cap. It is threaded into the cap and sits just about flush with the cap bottom edge when the PFP is full CCW. Now picture a groove machined around the circumferance of this part where you can't see it, and a retaining ring installed. Above that, in the cartridge cap itself, should be a shoulder for this ring to stop on. Just like the preload collar setup I mentioned. I suspect, and its an educated guess, that if you remove the compression and PFP pistons, spring, etc. from the assembly, you should be able to easily thread the PFP adjuster down far enough to expose this ring. It would then be removed and the PFP adjuster unthreaded and removed from the top. This would be neccessary to replace the o-ring on the PFP adjuster.

Too bad you didn't post this a week ago, mine were apart and it would have been easy to go one step more and see for sure whats going on.