Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:35 AM

I hadn't heard about the replacement flywheel but the battery is normally updated to a 230 CCA Lithium unit.

Certainly in the UK, as soon as the starting issue was identified in the 2018 models, the importer contacted all owners and offered the upgrade pack FOC. The changes then went directly into the production line.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Hmm, same for me on the flywheel. Never heard this before. Interesting.

As for the dealers and importers, I would be shocked if GGNA hadn't notified all US dealers about this issue and the suggested fixes. Can any dealers on here confirm?
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 PM

After extensive red herrings, running new cables, buying new batteries, standing on one leg while pointing to magnetic north etc, I finally have had enough of this.

Started by pulling the starter motor out and testing in free air. Seemed fine, but looking in the hole where the motor goes, the bearing had a damaged shield.

Pulled the bendix cover off and the gears seems to have quite a bit of stiffness and notchiness to them when moved by hand which was unexpected. This was with the bendix removed.

Removed the ignition cover and removed the helical gear that is directly driven by the starter motor. I ground down a cage nut as used in 19 inch rack cabinets so that I could get it in under the helical gear, then used a long screw and some washers to remove it.

Bit of heat on the case from the MAPP torch and removed that gear and bearing, Bearing was the one with the damaged shield. Famous XAJ Brand made from the finest chinesium. Very notchy under load. Size 6902Z.

Made a tool out of aluminium to get under the pinion on the starter axle as the bearing in the back of that was notchy as well. Apply some heat and a slide hammer and it came out too. Bearing has a screw behind it and it is screwed into the axle with a m5 Torx screw.

Probably the only way to remove the bearing from the housing. Bought a bearing separator to remove the helical gear on the end that meshes with the motor helical gear, and starter axle as one unit. Bearing also crook. Size 608ZC4. This one was branded ISB-EMS which appear to be an Italian made low noise Electrical Motor Standard bearing presumably in a C4 clearance.

I replaced both with equivalent units from the local bearing shop, except they didnt stock the C4, so I went standard in FAG bearings.

I also noticed that the axle shaft pinion was a little bit munted from the factory, as in some of the teeth were damaged.

Reassembled the lot by heating the case and freezing the bearings and discovered that the bendix cover did not mate correctly while allowing the axle shaft to rotate. So either the ISB-EMS 608ZC4 is not the same size as a 608Z or something is amiss.

Axle shaft all tight with the helical gear, so I got a mate to measure and calculate and it all seemed OK. I could get the cover on, but it would bind the axle shaft. Some slight re-enginerding later on the bendix cover and it all moves freely now.

Put it all back together and it winds over like a champ. Never experienced it like this before.

Put some petrol in it and it starts easy now.

I guess in 20/20 hindsight if I saw this again, I'd be pulling the starter motor out and seeing how free and smooth the mechanism is inside the bendix cover. Should be able to turn it by had as there is no need for resistance in transferring starter motor torque to the bendix assembly.

I am tempted to put the original battery in it and see if it starts with that.

This is not a guaranteed fix, but a recounting of my experience. Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 PM

Hey Fred,

Where abouts are you from?

On another forum I am posting on somebody mention something that sounds like 100% your issue.

There is an issue with the bendix cover on the 18 models, some were cast with a fault which causes it to misalign with the gearing and will lock up the starter. resulting in some horrible noises.

Here is a link to the post in more details;

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...9&postcount=74
Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 AM

Thanks Booki. Will have a read of the whole thread shortly, but I did get another '18 bendix cover before I modified the original and they look identical.

I also just put the original battery in and it starts the bike flawlessly as well after it has been running for a few minutes.

Obviously I cant cold test it because it isnt.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booki View Post
Hey Fred,

Where abouts are you from?

On another forum I am posting on somebody mention something that sounds like 100% your issue.

There is an issue with the bendix cover on the 18 models, some were cast with a fault which causes it to misalign with the gearing and will lock up the starter. resulting in some horrible noises.

Here is a link to the post in more details;

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...9&postcount=74
What is this about the flywheel? I have never heard it mentioned before and did not see it on any tech bulletins. So the bendix cover should be replaced with one from a 2019? Looking at parts diagrams, the 18 and 19 bendix cover have the same part number. If this is the case how would you know you’re getting one that’s been made properly?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
What is this about the flywheel? I have never heard it mentioned before and did not see it on any tech bulletins. So the bendix cover should be replaced with one from a 2019? Looking at parts diagrams, the 18 and 19 bendix cover have the same part number. If this is the case how would you know you?re getting one that?s been made properly?
I will find out this week I guess.

I was a bit surprised about the flywheel too - apparently the starter motor doesn't grab the flywheel correctly, so it needs to be replaced - at least on my bike, that's what's listed on the VIN anyway
Old 03-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Could it be a reference to an uprated stator to provide extra power to charge the uprated battery? I have read somewhere about a stator replacement recall on the 2018s.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudolfHucker View Post
Could it be a reference to an uprated stator to provide extra power to charge the uprated battery? I have read somewhere about a stator replacement recall on the 2018s.
I haven?t heard anything about this either. Good lord when will it end. The problems seem to just keep piling up. I would love to buy another gasgas after this bike because it?s great everywhere else but unless they make serious improvements with these issues and how they address them I won?t be buying another one. All these problems and their only way to address it is to give you 30 cents worth of copper wire and tell you good luck, and now dealers are telling customers they aren?t aware of starting issues on the 18s... WHAT
Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booki View Post
I will find out this week I guess.

I was a bit surprised about the flywheel too - apparently the starter motor doesn't grab the flywheel correctly, so it needs to be replaced - at least on my bike, that's what's listed on the VIN anyway
How did you find out what issues are specifically related to your VIN ?