Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Default Brand New GG 300 Sounds Like It's Going to Self Destruct

New 2010 with maybe 10 minutes on it. Initially I did one heat cycle. Ran it for about 5 minutes, letting it warm up and gingerly blipping the throttle. Let it cool down overnight.

Tonight I am going to just ride easily up and down the block. Starts first kick, I let it warm up for a minute or two and take off. Easy riding, no more than a quarter throttle for a couple of minutes and then it starts making a HORRIBLE SQUEALING METALLIC GRINDING NOISE. I shut it off. Sounds like it's coming from the right side.

I start the bike again and it sounds fine. I start riding back to the house and within a minute or so the noise reappears. This time I feel the clutch cover, doesn't seem to vibrate, but I notice there is a bunch of vibration coming from the kickstarter. This took about ten seconds at idle, I shut it off and push it home.

No time tonight to pull the clutch cover. Any thoughts? Please don't make me wish I should have bought another KTM or Husky, like I've had in the past.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the oil level?
May have been shipped dry.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...that doesn't sound good...no pun intended.
How far away is your dealer?
He really needs to see your bike before running it any more. Maybe phone him and ask about warranty. I mean as far as you taking off the clutch cover or anything.
Please keep us informed I do feel for you man. Good luck hope it turns out to be minor.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

As stated above, you do have to dump what little oil comes in the transmission and refill it with 900ml. Or if you have filled it with the wrong oil, your clutch will slip and squeal and burn.
2010 GasGas EC 300 Nambotin Replica #141
2006 Honda XR650R Supermoto
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM

my nambo 300 squeals a little under heavy clutch abuse in second but i can make my buddies 250 six days make the same noise under heavy abuse. as stated check the oil cause it doesnt come loaded. i switched to amsoil from motul as my dealer and friends say gassers like this oil alot better.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Did you check the oil level?
May have been shipped dry.
Yes it was shipped dry. I put oil in the trans and gas, before I started it. Manual stated 10w-30, but I used 10w-40 because that's what I had in the shop. And I have used this same oil in all my various two strokes and never had an issue. Plus this noise sounds baaaaad and I wasn't even close to abusing anything, just trying to do the initial break-in.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Another new owner had his clutch screws back out, and it toasted his clutch cover. Search "clutch + screws" or the poster, onegreyghost to find his experience.

It could be a trend.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

If it's as bad as you describe...it's got to come apart for inspection.
First thing to check would be the clutch, they do squeal under a heavy load but in your case somethings not right.
For sure....take it back to the dealer!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I had the same, my bike was delivered to me in the box, and there is only about 150ml oil in the g box. I did about 10km like this I have since learnt to not use the oil window, i think the oil just sits there even when empty!!

bike seems to be running fine, seems like there was little damage done, luckily i was just running it in so was a v gentle ride
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 PM

I am really surprised by bikes supplied in a crate. It is my undersanding that all bikes, regardless of brand in Australia, are required to be set up by the dealer for this very reason. They ensure the bike is assembled, check & tested so in turn a warranty can be provided.

It also lets a dealer set up the bike for the customer the way they want it.