Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 PM

Les didn't mention anything different. One of our members told me that when he went to get his SixDays Ohlins/Zokes revalved, his tuner had to do some minor surgery with some little nubblets that weren't installed/machined properly. Perhaps he will chime in.

The tuners I have contacted that have experience with the three manufactures have all said they can tune them. What they worried about is the availability of components and the price of, say a Zoke fork leg, or Sachs shock shaft seal for two specific examples.

Other tidbits when I have the time.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM

It's possible the same thing was found when my Zokes were revalved last week. Not sure though. Tuner said something was amiss......
Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Hmmm. His bike is a 2011 SixDays as well.

Let's hope he graces us with a clarifying post.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM

I remember a fellow user (BrentMartell) I think saying that his rebound dampening holes weren't drilled out very well. And that a rivet or something had partially blocked another hole. I just sent my forks out for re-valving as I find them quite un-rider friendly. My suspension guy told me that he replaces the midvalve on them and tunes with the stacks somewhat. I'm not to sure what is involved as it is a bit of a black art to me.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

So how many different Combos are we looking at across 2010/2011

Shock-Forks

Sachs-Sachs
Ohlins-Sachs
Ohlins-Zokes

Then throw into the mix that certain models had different valving from the factory depending on make and we've got ourself a good all out mixup. No wonder so many varying results between riders, and to think this is just over 2 years.

Perhaps if everyone could specify their year and model to also try and clarify any trends in suspension setup.

So far I have seen
2010 EC300 Euro/Racing Australia Ohlins-Sachs
2011 EC300E Australia Sachs-Sachs
2010 EC300 Australia Sachs-Sachs
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperrider1 View Post
It's possible the same thing was found when my Zokes were revalved last week. Not sure though. Tuner said something was amiss......
Thumperrider1 who revalved your suspension? I have Zokes and Ohlins.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Randall Ellison (E-Tech). He rides the same bike and has done several others including the guy who is spanking the competition in AA class. I need to get some time on mine, but it feels remarkably better just riding around the yard hitting a few things. Too much rain to get out so hopefully will get some time Saturday. He has a great combo that works for our area and the price is right.

If you want his number PM me.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 AM

My rig is a 2011 300EC Kickstart only with Zokes/Ohlins. I'm 215lbs in street clothes, and am a top 3 A rider at most races. I know I'm heavier than stock springs allow, but I consider myself a 'smooth' type of rider, looking to ride the smoother line rather than smash through a possibly faster one. I find the setup to be harsh in stock form and the clickers didn't do much for me....... Ride a new Orange bike and you'll see a huge difference.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 AM

Probably because your 210lbs, and smooth rider or no, a very fast rider is still pushing suspension beyond its stock form, let alone a stock heavy rider.

All these comparisons to ktm suspension, yea its good, but they have unlimited time and money to spend on getting it right, seeing as they are the same company ktm and wp, I dont know of any other bike brand which uses wp either?
Wheras gasgas deals with suspension they have to spec and buy in. Although they dont do themselves any favours swapping brands every few years, even worse that there are 3 seperate suspension manufacturers contributing this year, sachs, marzocchi and ohlins., all of which work with other bike brands also. Its difficult to compete with ktm and wp in that aspect. Im not really sure what I mean by this, but thought I should point it out

haha rant over
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 PM

I can agree and accept that GG doesn't have the resources available to them that a larger company may. For me large company or not, the manufacturer needs to listen to their customers and develop / evolve their products to meet their requests. The proof of a company listening in is found in the next model year. Hopefully revisions are made that please the majority of their clientel. Saying this I also acknowledge that some of the Zoke riders are happy with the product in its current form.

I agree that I likely am pushing the limits of stock suspension. I know this before I even throw a leg over any bike. Saying this a GG isn't a trail bike, its a bike built for racing. Says so on the stickers on the frame, etc.