Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 AM

Question Ohlins 888 shock

I'm starting this post hoping someone could give me some feedback regarding the Ohlins 888 shock that comes with the 11' XC.

Is this the exact shock that comes with the bike ?

Please notice the black nob on the bottom to adjust rebound, is it the same on the 11' XC ?

How good is it compared to the 2010/2011 Sachs ? Anyone has experience with both ?

How good does it holds ? Takes long beatings without complaint or after it heats up loses too much efficiency ?

It would be great to have feedback from you guys, I'm kinda in a middle of a crossroad and I need to make a decision...

Thank you all.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Looks about right. I have 3 rides, about 200 miles on mine and had issue's so the suspension is being rebuilt right now. Doing the shock tonight and am hoping the internals are actually high quality instead bottom of the barrel crap.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
Looks about right. I have 3 rides, about 200 miles on mine and had issue's so the suspension is being rebuilt right now. Doing the shock tonight and am hoping the internals are actually high quality instead bottom of the barrel crap.
What were the issues?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I'm starting this post hoping someone could give me some feedback regarding the Ohlins 888 shock that comes with the 11' XC.

Is this the exact shock that comes with the bike ?

Please notice the black nob on the bottom to adjust rebound, is it the same on the 11' XC ?

How good is it compared to the 2010/2011 Sachs ? Anyone has experience with both ?

How good does it holds ? Takes long beatings without complaint or after it heats up loses too much efficiency ?

It would be great to have feedback from you guys, I'm kinda in a middle of a crossroad and I need to make a decision...

Thank you all.
1. Looks like it. And yes, the rebound adjustment is just as pictured.

2. I don't have any experience with the Sachs.

3. As a mid-pack B rider, I notice no decrease in damping effect while riding.

I really like this shock. One thing to note is that as delivered, the rebound setting is 30 clicks out, pretty near the limit of adjustment. That works ok for me since I had to add a little rebound to make it a little less lively, but if you wanted to go the other way, you would be limited in adjustment.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM

Mine hangs up on rebound and then does not fully extend. We are hoping it is just air that was not bled out properly from the factory. I can say that I raced the bike in a 100 mile desert race last weekend and the shock, other than kicking a bit do to this issue, seemed to be fine. I could hit stuff pretty hard with the rear end and also take on chop decently. After I get this and the forks straightened out I will test this weekend and pray I have a good set up. I ride A and generally finish in the top 5 in our desert series which is generally pretty fast stuff. There are a few sections with some gnarly rocky terrain and so far I have been pretty happy with the shock overall, it has not really pitched me off line or thrown me over the bars yet.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 AM

Thank you all for the input !
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Pulled the shock apart last night. Nitrogen was low. I thought Roger told me 120 but then later as we put it back together he said 140. Either way it was low. I am not certain if there was air in the shock or not, we just pulled it apart to look at the stack, valve, bushing etc. Installed new oil, bled it out, and put 160 psi nitrogen back in. Quality of the Ohlins internals looked good, and about 2 million times above the zoke forks (had to major work on those).

I put the forks and shock back on last night and today it is snowing, and the weather is supposed to get worse. Crap.

I will say the little back knob rebound adjuster is goofy, but the clicks are very audible, can hear them through my helmet, and feel them as well. If you position your handles correctly you can dial it pretty easy.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
. . . Quality of the Ohlins internals looked good, and about 2 million times above the zoke forks (had to major work on those).
. .
Curious what you found in the forks as far as quality issues and what you had to do to them?

I've been leaning toward a new 300 6-Days, but read the shock and the forks are not the top offerings from either manufacturer. That has me wondering if a Racing version with CC forks would be a better choice, even though I hear they are way stiff at delivery.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
Curious what you found in the forks as far as quality issues and what you had to do to them?

I've been leaning toward a new 300 6-Days, but read the shock and the forks are not the top offerings from either manufacturer. That has me wondering if a Racing version with CC forks would be a better choice, even though I hear they are way stiff at delivery.
I heard a rumor the Zokes CC that come on the Race model are very similar to Kayaba's SSS...Would be nice to know how much of this is true. (sorry the off-topic)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I heard a rumor the Zokes CC that come on the Race model are very similar to Kayaba's SSS...Would be nice to know how much of this is true. (sorry the off-topic)
like any shock, give it to your sus tunner and it will be better, that ohlins model is a base range shock it does not have HS compression /rebound adjustments unlike other brands however the performance is good, ohlins dont make a crap shock that fades etc, my ohlins required the HS compression to be backed off as it ramped up to quick which was done by a good sus tunner and now its great