Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Question '03 400 FSE not firing

Just got back from riding at Red River park today and got stranded out in the back section. I was going down a steep section and dropped the bike on it's right side. Picked it back up and lost balance and it dropped on the left side. After that it wouldn't start. I coasted down the rest of the way and tried to bump start it, no go. When I got to the bottom, I keep trying to start it. The starter had good power and would turn it over, but it wouldn't fire. After trying a couple of times, I would turn it off and let it set. I did notice that I am not hearing the normal buzz that the fuel injector makes. I don't see any damage on either side and don't see any loose wires. We finally got the bike back to camp around 5:30 this evening and got home.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I check? What next?

P.S. It has been a great day, and got better. When we stopped to clean the bikes at the car wash, I forgot to put my boots back in the trailer. Anyone have a size 12 that they aren't using???

'03 GasGas FSE 400
'97 Honda CR 250
'02 Honda VFR800

Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Under the left side cover you will see two relays, one is a fuel pump relay the other a fan relay. Try changing them around and see if that works it could be a faulty relay. Some auto shops sell them, if you replace it or just refitting it seel the relay with silicon to stop water getting in.If it is not this look at the fuses under the seat are not loos or blowen.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the hints. I checked the fuses, but didn't find any burned out our loose. I can't seem to locate the solenoids for the fan/injector.

Back to the hunt...

Pictures can be found here.

'03 GasGas FSE 400
'97 Honda CR 250
'02 Honda VFR800
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Found the solenoids, changed them around and no change...

'03 GasGas FSE 400
'97 Honda CR 250
'02 Honda VFR800
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Just got back from riding at Red River park today and got stranded out in the back section. I was going down a steep section and dropped the bike on it's right side. Picked it back up and lost balance and it dropped on the left side. After that it wouldn't start. I coasted down the rest of the way and tried to bump start it, no go. When I got to the bottom, I keep trying to start it. The starter had good power and would turn it over, but it wouldn't fire. After trying a couple of times, I would turn it off and let it set. I did notice that I am not hearing the normal buzz that the fuel injector makes. I don't see any damage on either side and don't see any loose wires. We finally got the bike back to camp around 5:30 this evening and got home.

Has anyone else had this problem? What can I check? What next?

P.S. It has been a great day, and got better. When we stopped to clean the bikes at the car wash, I forgot to put my boots back in the trailer. Anyone have a size 12 that they aren't using???
Hi I have had the same problem wih mine (an 02 400) with mine it was the stop button not returning fully out try just pulling it out then lubing it with WD40 or duck oil
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlawes View Post
Hi I have had the same problem wih mine (an 02 400) with mine it was the stop button not returning fully out try just pulling it out then lubing it with WD40 or duck oil
I will take a look at it, but it seems to be returning to the normal position. Maybe it is a bad switch.

'03 GasGas FSE 400
'97 Honda CR 250
'02 Honda VFR800
Old 07-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad fortune John. I don't own the 4T GG so I have no knowledge on the issue you are having so just go back to the basics.

Pull your plug out and hook up the plug wire to the plug. Find a metal spot on your frame and ground the plug. Then turn the engine over and see if you can see a spark coming from the plug. If not start checking all relays, fuses, etc.

Once my new boots get here I will give my my Oxtar boots size 12 when I come back to Dallas in a few weeks.

Robby
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM

check mag make sure boults did not come luse
Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Ok, took it to the shop and they found a broken electrical connection on the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. I don't know how or why that broke, but I feel a little better that it wasn't something that I would have been able to fix in the field. Now just to re-build my trust with the girl. I want to have confidence again that she won't strand me out in the back woods, but this was a strange and hopefully uncommon problem.

Thanks for all of the ideas, if nothing else, I became a lot more familure with her anatamy.

'03 GasGas FSE 400
'97 Honda CR 250
'02 Honda VFR800
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Now just to re-build my trust with the girl.
Just like any supermodel, they have their idiosyncracies.