Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Orange rider gone red

As of today, I'm a proud owner of an '05 250DE/300 conversion. Just picked her up from Keytime. My old ride was a 525EXC. I'll miss that motor, but nothing else. Took a quick spin today and was quite impressed, particularly with the steering. Of course, the 525 steered like farm machinery, but the GG seems to steer as nice or nicer than other orange bikes. It is similar to the CRF250R I was riding for a while, but did not have that "I'm riding on stilts" feel to it that that bike did. Nice power band - it seems to lug along quite nicely, and I was also pleased with the gearing. Big change over the tall gearing I'm used to. I was thinking about installing a Recluse, but it hardly seems necessary. A stabilizer seems like a better investment.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Oh yes you will love the bike! You have come to the "Dark Side"
Welcome to our crazy little family here.

All of the Gaser info is here on this site with plenty of folks to help you out.

Not me though. I am known as the "USS" (Ultimate S*!# Stirrer) J/K

Enjoy the site and most of all the bike!

Boom
Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't know if you even need to spend $ on a stabilizer. I use one, and have for a long time, but these bikes really do cut that fine line of excellent turning without shaking their head. Of course, the throttle position has a lot to do with the dreaded shaking head. As long as the rear tire is driving, you're not going to shake on this bike. Ride it for a bit, you may be able to just sink that money into a stack of tires, a much better investment I'd say. Of course, this is coming from a guy who loves his damper, so you never know.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 PM

Even if a bike doesn't have headshake and the suspension is great, a steering damper is still a very good investment. Steering dampers make log crossings easier, and I absolutely love mine in the rocks and sand/river rock. Works well on roots too.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

My Scott's damper that I've had on every single bike I have ever owned is sitting in the box on a shelf. I don't need it.

Put that money into Suspension work. Not that it needs that badly, but my tuner made my stuff even better than the stock set up.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Well, the jury is out then on the stabilizer. I have ridden a bike with one, but I don't think it was working at the time (it was a GPR in need of a rebuild). I definitely need to get some seat time with one before I make that investment.

I can't wait to get into some more technical stuff with this, and see how it performs on climbs, etc. Wishing it was the beginning of the season, and not the close. But I do plan to ride it on the ice too!

With that in mind - any cold weather jetting suggestions??
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 AM

I used to have a Scotts steering damper on my '01 XC300. The damper made the steering feel sticky. I took it off. I like it better without a damper for trail riding over assorted rocks, roots and trail obstacles.

With the proper set up a GasGas is stable, sharp turning and very forgiving.

Get your suspension dialed in. Glenn (GMP) has a lot of good suggestions, especially on setting rear sag.

Another key to proper set up is the tension in the steering head bearings. The steering head bearings should be tightened just to the point where the wheel will not turn sideways under its own weight when the motorcycle is on a stand with the front wheel unsupported. This setting improves stability at speed and does not make the steering feel sticky. Chad Reed is reportedly very picky about the steering head bearing tension setting in his motorcycle. I now have an appreciation why he is.

I am still amazed at how many times I hit a trail obstacle or make a mistake thinking 'uh-oh, I am going to crash' and the GasGas just takes it all in stride with ease and I get by without crashing. I love my GasGas!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Just for a reference, I recently rode at Talimena State Park in Eastern Oklahoma, one of the most rocky places on planet earth, and I never once thought about the stabilizer not being on my GasGas.

Just buy one and mount it up, then take it off and put it back on for a few rides and see what you think. You can always go to KTMtalk and sell it. LOL!

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F