Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Weatherproofing the EFI?

I am new to EFI bikes. Is there anything that should be/ needs to be done to keep everything in working order. It seems that the throttle body is fairly open. Do you guys just the cover off clean periodically? Any wires I should watch? Fuses I need to keep spares for? Any input would be great.

Brian

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 AM

A tiny dab of di-electric grease on all of the connectors is a good idea to ward off any moisture or corrosion problems. Those connections to the sensors and computer are the only things telling your EFI what to do.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 AM

On my recent repair quest I disconnected the ecu connector looking for corrosion and found nothing but clean terminal pins despite 6 years of severe off road riding and deep river crossings. The main concern i have had is keeping electricity in the battery (due to a broken wire).The efi is a beautiful thing. So tractable and flexible it has got me out of many situations a carb bike probably wouldn't. Welcome to the future!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM

good to hear.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Either I have been very lucky or the EFI system is very well made but I haven't put any dielectric grease on any of my connections since I bought it new in '05. My riding buddies usually accuse me of washing my bike to much, so my electrical system has gotten plenty wet over the last few years. That doesn't mean I don't recommend it, it just means it's probably not as much of an issue as some might think.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalefty View Post
Either I have been very lucky or the EFI system is very well made but I haven't put any dielectric grease on any of my connections since I bought it new in '05. My riding buddies usually accuse me of washing my bike to much, so my electrical system has gotten plenty wet over the last few years. That doesn't mean I don't recommend it, it just means it's probably not as much of an issue as some might think.
Yes, probably just cheap insurance. I only checked and greased connections when I was doing some maintenance and had access. Many efi problems on different vehicles are just connection or sensor related, especially where road salt is used. I had a 93 Polaris EFI sled for 10+ yrs and even though it was a very early generation efi it was totally problem free, even starting with a near dead battery before batteryless efi had been invented. If it had been carbed, I would have been cleaning them every yr or two. A fresh battery is probably the best insurance. I've also got a 99 VFR I've had from new and it hasn't been touched except for a throttle body sync a few yrs ago.