Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > SouthEast United States

Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Hatfield and McCoy advice

Sounds like some of us are going down around memorial day weekend/week. They said something about staying at rock bottom...sounds more like an area more than a place. For those of you who prolly know what they are talking about where are some good places to stay down there. Don't mind paying a bit more if it is nicer. Tried doing some searches and coming up with a bunch of drop in sheds converted to bunk houses. Then I though...Gasser folks know it all so where are some places to check out?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Ping StainlessCycle, he lives in WV and knows the place well. He is usually on here a lot, not lately though.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM

I'm not sure about Rock Bottom, but Rock house is one of the trail heads. You can actually stay at the blue goose inn & saloon in Matewan. You can ride from the parking lot and hit Buffalo mtn. And rock house is extremely close as well. Rock house is in the Gilbert and Man area. Buffalo mtn. is in Williamson but can be accessed in Matewan.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM

How often do bikes get stolen from that area from naive Yankees?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Lol!! I haven't heard anything bad about stolen bikes. I live in W.V., about 2 hours from Williamson. The blue goose is dirt biker friendly. So they may have security. I wouldn't leave a bottle of pain pills out in the open inside your vehicle though.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM

How long do you plan to spend there?
From the general Logan area you have 4 trail systems to pick from.
If wanting to ride for a few days you may want to stay at the Holiday Inn and just trailer to the different trail heads.
Buffalo Mountain has 3 trail heads all with food and gas close. Buffalo Mountain also has the most and best single track.
If you want to ride Rockhouse it is only a short drive from Logan to the Mann trailhead.
You are picking a very busy holiday weekend, make sure you have lodging confirmed.
Many of the smaller "ride to the trail" locations are booked far in advance.
I have a group going in late April and some of the places I tried was booked since last year.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Blue Goose Inn @ Matewan WV is decent. Bill, the owner, is a great guy. Don McCoy, owner of Hatfield McCoy Inn @ Matewan, is another great guy who offers affordable lodging, food, security, and more. We will be staying with him in May, it looks like.

Ck this out...quote from Don himself:

"Here is a link on Google Earth https://groups.googl.../-/jNYTmYBCIs4J that you can zoom in and follow an 85 mile loop and get an ideal of the terrain that I have created a loop called "The Dinky Road Loop". It begins and ends in Downtown Matewan and takes app. 5 hours depending on how many times you stop or decide to get off course on the loop. App. 30 miles is 4 lane coming back to Matewan unless you prefer more Dinky Backwoods 100% Legal improved and unimproved County Roads. You do need a highway legal bike with tags!!! I have created a total of 4-5 great loops including one app 100 miles that croses the corners of KY, VA and Wv. I cannot figure out how to get my darn software GPS crap to work or I would have the loops loaded onto my web site! LOL However, most people would get lost with a GPS on these Dinky Routes with a GPS.
It is an excellent loop loaded with miles of Twisties and not much automobile traffic at all. If you wanna see some great backwoods roads and have fun in the twisties, high mountains and low valleys this is the loop. I ride a BMW F650 GS DAKAR with knobbies although knobbies are not needed on the Dinky Trail. Dinky consist of 70% single lane clean black top NO CENTER STRIPE AND VIRTUALLY NO GUARD RAILS, 20% 2 lanes divided by a stripe and 30 miles interstate and10% tight crushed gravel mixture. The interstate is the final 30 minutes of the loop or the interstate can be by passed and ride more twisty dinky routes. No coal or log hauling on this loop. It is y open road the entire ride. A couple KTM 525 riders from Florida though of it as a Super Moto Race Track. I would motion them to pass by me when we got to the good twisties and have them to wait on me at the intersections although I was right on there rears. Not bad for a soon to be 52 year old! LOL If you know Don Childers DLS RIDES/Adventure Rider from NC. ask him his opinion of the dual sport trails. He comes here often to ride his KTM 900/950.

https://groups.googl.../-/jNYTmYBCIs4J

The Real McCoy"

Now thats service.
'06 YZ250F parting out...