Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 AM

Default Anyone tried the K&N on their GG

Hey anyone tried the K&N filter for GG?
I incidentally noticed motosport had one for my bike 07 FSR 450 ---

must say I am apprehensive about K&N types esp on a dirtbike.
What are your guys thoughts or results for those who have tried it? (And what bike /type of riding do you do?)

I have always been scared of these ... Taking the idea "more air = more dirt = bad." However.... A few things about the current filter setup and this one are appealing to me:

- Lower profile (should be easier to install and ensure if is seated correctly and properly sealed. Currently, the fit on my bike w the Twin AIr is just awkward.

-the sharp edges on the Air boot/filter/battery cage plus super close quarters make damGing a foam filter almost a given when removing replacing filter.

- I do a decent amount of dual sporting . I do a lot of highwY miles , at least right now... However I do do a lot of dirt and this is what I do like best .

Any thought/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

I'm with you.

Used them in cars before. Wouldn't even consider on a dirt bike. Need more air, increase volume another way.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 AM

If you're doing a lot of highway, the convenience would be better but as you say more dirt ain't good. You could always put an oiled filter skin on for dirtier applications
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM

I would personally never use a k&n in a dirt bike.
1. they are around $90 IMO way too expensive for a air filter, I can get a notoil that lasts a while for $17.
2. First hand experience with working on others bikes with a k&n, the smaller surface area of the fiber material vs. a foam filter means the K&n gets clogged up a lot sooner, and when looking down the intake boot after a k&n was used I could see large amounts of dirt that had gone past the filter.
2004 200 EXC
1997 KDX 220
2004 CRF 250X
1974 CL125
www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <---some gasgas videos here
Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Yikes - that was my concern.

It is not the convenience per se of the longer intervals (i.e., too lazy to clean + oil air filter) but that more room would make verifying that it was seated properly.

IMO, verifying that the filter is seated on there a little tougher on this bike. The battery cage, plus the sharp edges on the battery cage, air box/boot thingy, makes getting the filter in and out of the airbox tough on the filter.

I discovered a tear on mine near the sealing rim seam after probably having been removed only 2-3 times.

My thought was if the K&N was easier to install without scraping/damaging it, and also easier to see it would be better than something that is more prone to damage.

Like if you still maintained it kind of like a regular filter instead of the longer maint. interval. And/or used it with the "filter sock" thingy. That could work.

but yes, more dirt in engine = bad = scary.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 PM

Also, when working with the k&n they usually have a outer ring with the filter element in it, then they have a back plate that covers up the large hole left, the screw then goes threw the large plate and sandwiches it down. ditching the stock cage. in my experience with them the outer ring with the element in it is hard to manipulate, making it more difficult than you think to get the filter down inside the box.

foam might rip, but also crushes easier. The hard rubber and metal mesh of the k&n, not to mention the metal backing plate makes it very hard to install in a tight airbox.
2004 200 EXC
1997 KDX 220
2004 CRF 250X
1974 CL125
www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <---some gasgas videos here
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM

OK great thanks guys, I can officially cross that idea off my list and stick to foam.
I don't mind cleaning foam filter much anyways... Good excuse to have a beer.